Technics SP10 Mk2P problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2014, 10:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Technics SP10 Mk2P problems

Hi guys, new here so be gentle.

I've inherited an ASC gram unit, a professional, almost portable studio unit which utilises an SP10 Mk2P deck. The deck spins, finds the right speed eventually and torque is strong however upon examination the logic board is laid out differently to my standard deck and there are 3 leads (red, yellow, green) that have been cut. I'm told that these should be attached to the logic board at some point but I have no idea as to where. Any ideas? Would it be possible to convert a P to standard spec? Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Stuart

Last edited by Notinthislifetime; 14th October 2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Crap spelling
Old 15th October 2014, 03:15 AM   #2
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

If we could see some well-lit, in-focus photos of the problem area, that would be very helpful and a good place to start.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
If we could see some well-lit, in-focus photos of the problem area, that would be very helpful and a good place to start.
Thanks for the reply. The previous owner recapped the deck with high quality vishays, Rubicons and Panasonic FCs. He removed the three wires in question without making notes or taking pics. This thing is a little Heath Robinson in its construction but it sounds mighty fine running through the internal phono stage. I'll strip the thing this weekend take some pics and post. I suppose the end game is to return the deck to stand alone use sans pitch control and possibly look to Dave Crawley for a PSU although the Pass Labs unit looks the nuts. I have to get the thing to run as a stand alone unit first.

Stuart
Old 15th October 2014, 10:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.[/URL][/IMG]

The one on the right, if the pic shows
Old 15th October 2014, 07:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

readjusted the image size:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th October 2014, 07:27 PM   #6
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Once we have some photos of the disconnected wires and area, et. all, then we can move forward.

Looks smashing in black, BTW...
Old 15th October 2014, 10:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the photo resize DD, not mastered imageshack yet. 6L6 as you'll see from my pics over the weekend I have a cut cable with no indication of where it was once attached. I understand Technics used an edge connector to carry the additional features but as the boards controlling pitch etc are bespoke there is no guarantee I can get this thing to work as it should. Thanks for the compliment re the finish, satin black powder coat and a remanufactured badge (albeit to a slightly different design) plus all the work under the hood to get the slate mounted deck to as new condition.

Thanks for the help guys, stuart

Last edited by Notinthislifetime; 15th October 2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Crap spelling again!
Old 16th October 2014, 01:28 AM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Please post your pictures here! In the future the imageshack images will disappear making this a much less interesting and useful thread..

You can post them directly or post them to the most appropriate gallery and link them in line here as you prefer.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Right, had chance to strip the thing down and address the electronic brake issue. It seems TR37 is at fault, it's a A564A, am I right in thinking this is just a small signal amp? If so what's the modern equivalent TO92?

Thanx
Old 21st October 2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That seems to be a general purpose PNP. It low voltage and low current but can have a high hfe (from 65 up to 700 apparently for selected devices)

If you are sure its faulty then try a generic PNP such as BC556 (C grade if you can get it). And watch the pinouts, they are different.

Just try whatever you have... 50 volt Vce or higher and IC of 50ma or more (according to the data sheet I looked at)

Hide this!Advertise here!