Technics SP10 Mk2P problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, new here so be gentle.

I've inherited an ASC gram unit, a professional, almost portable studio unit which utilises an SP10 Mk2P deck. The deck spins, finds the right speed eventually and torque is strong however upon examination the logic board is laid out differently to my standard deck and there are 3 leads (red, yellow, green) that have been cut. I'm told that these should be attached to the logic board at some point but I have no idea as to where. Any ideas? Would it be possible to convert a P to standard spec? Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Stuart

Last edited:
If we could see some well-lit, in-focus photos of the problem area, that would be very helpful and a good place to start. :D

Thanks for the reply. The previous owner recapped the deck with high quality vishays, Rubicons and Panasonic FCs. He removed the three wires in question without making notes or taking pics. This thing is a little Heath Robinson in its construction but it sounds mighty fine running through the internal phono stage. I'll strip the thing this weekend take some pics and post. I suppose the end game is to return the deck to stand alone use sans pitch control and possibly look to Dave Crawley for a PSU although the Pass Labs unit looks the nuts. I have to get the thing to run as a stand alone unit first.

Stuart

Thanks for the photo resize DD, not mastered imageshack yet. 6L6 as you'll see from my pics over the weekend I have a cut cable with no indication of where it was once attached. I understand Technics used an edge connector to carry the additional features but as the boards controlling pitch etc are bespoke there is no guarantee I can get this thing to work as it should. Thanks for the compliment re the finish, satin black powder coat and a remanufactured badge (albeit to a slightly different design) plus all the work under the hood to get the slate mounted deck to as new condition.

Thanks for the help guys, stuart

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That seems to be a general purpose PNP. It low voltage and low current but can have a high hfe (from 65 up to 700 apparently for selected devices)

If you are sure its faulty then try a generic PNP such as BC556 (C grade if you can get it). And watch the pinouts, they are different.

Just try whatever you have... 50 volt Vce or higher and IC of 50ma or more (according to the data sheet I looked at)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just looked in my old Towers transistor book and the suggested replacements for the 2SA564A are BC212L or the 2N4061. Towers shows the gain as a more reasonable 250. Anything should be OK tbh. The 2N5401 is a common generic device.

Just watch the pinouts, they all differ.

Wish it was that easy 6L6. This is a Mk2 P which should use an SH-10C Which sits between PSU and fader allowing it to control the deck. The logic circuit is non standard and is built to operate in tandem with said unit. Take a look at the manual and you'll see my dilemma. If you can offer any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Thanx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.