The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Rigol DS1054Z has a bigger screen and is more flexible, I'm on my second one alongside my Keysight DSO-X 2004. Many here use them too.

Yep. I haven’t had to drag the big Tek out for over a year since getting the 1054Z.

What about this one?
Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 mhz Digital Oscilloscope 2 Channels, Grey: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 mhz Digital Oscilloscope 2 Channels

Big screen, wider bandwidth same price.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This would work...

hp-122a-working.jpg

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank you guys!
Dave, that one Keysight Technologies EDUX1002A Oscilloscope: 50 MHz, 2 Analog Channels?

I've been wanting to get a new modern day scope for over two years now, but always get so confused with the choices ... and simply quit every time haha

Hi, I'm still reading up on the SP10mk.2 for my own project, so please forgive any stupid questions...
This thread has already been a huge help and inspiration.

At the moment I'm restoring an old SP10mk.2 P/L owned by BBC Newcastle.
All units appeared fine on the outside, but the TT had a lot of brown goop inside. Looked like some kind of drink got in through the hole for the strobelight.

Already cleaned everything and rebuilt the PSU with new capacitors. Got the desired 32.5Vdc and 5Vdc, will omit the 140V and just go with an LED-strobe.

My next thoughts concern the SH10-C Control box...
I'd really like to omit it. I have no use for other extra controls like pitch or external speedswitches, so I'm comparing schematics and servicemanuals for the standard SP10mk.2 and the P/L version.
The SH10-C was meant to enable faderstart, without this box the start/stop button on the TT itself won't work.
Could it really be as simple as to just bridge the 2 SS-connections on the logicboard?

In the next couple of weeks I'll probably start building a plinth and recap the TT's boards.
I've already got a Jelco SA750L ready. :)
Let's hope everything turns out as it should!

OK, so back to square one...
I recapped the powersupply and set the 5V and 32.5V lines with their respective trimpots. Everything went perfectly.
Then I replaced all electrolytics in the SP10 and resoldered all (yes, all) connections at all 4 boards.

After reassembling everything, I just hooked everything up and it had the same problem it had before I serviced the PSU.

The turntable starts spinning and won’t stop. None of the lights come on. The indicator LEDs under the speedswitches don’t come on and the LED replacement of the Strobe doesn’t work.
I used the circuit I found at MPBarney’s site. 3 diffuse orange LED’s and their respective resistors connected to N2 and 5V lines at the connection PCB.
Now when I dismantled everything to do an idiotcheck of connections and stuff, everything appeared fine so I hooked everything up again and put my multimeter on the 5V line of the PSU just to see if it stays stable.
Turntable starts up again, but the voltage drops to 2,...V after 3 seconds.
So I switched everything off and disconnected everything and checked the voltages on the PSU without the TT again.
5V appeares dead (-0,17V) and 32V is down to 3,...V.
Really weird.

When I got the TT in from evilBay it was in very bad shape. The seller shipped it with the platter still attached even though he promised me to remove it. The entire kit was just wrapped in bubblewrap so everything could smash into eachother during transport.
The moment it arrived, I made the mistake to just hook everything up and hope for the best but the TT rotated backwards and spun extremely fast.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

I checked voltages again with the Fluke. I’m moving into a new flat...
PSU is fine.
When I disconnected the boards in the TT, voltages across C2 and C4 remain stable until I connect the logicboard.
Probably have to recheck everything on that board or even start looking for a replacement. :eek:

Hi. Look what I just bought ;) It took me a few years of looking around to get one in Canada. I finally found two ;) They are SP-10 Mk2.

Both turntable are almost perfect, one is missing the Technics logo. One power supply is ok, the other need repair. Looking forward to get advice/help to repair it. Once the defective one is repair I'll resell the second kit. I just need one, right!

Thanks in advance
SB

Attachments

• 1752991-technics-sp10-mk2-no-plinths-for-diy-project.jpg
    1752991-technics-sp10-mk2-no-plinths-for-diy-project.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Anyone has spare SP10 MK2 PCbs laying around?

I was thinking of reverse engineering a limited copies of those PCBs and reproduce them using modern PCB makers.

Mine SP10's pcb has too many jumper link, caused by track lifting using too hot soldering heat ....

Kindly note that this is NOT an attempt to copy, just trying to savage those really bad PCBs in the SP10. I believe many will have encounter the same problem as me...