The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
EDIT: (many years later...)

Putting a couple amazing links here in the top so members can better find them;

Mike Barney's page, which in my opinion is the best single SP-10 page out there -
https://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneysources/sp-10-mk2-pro

A great rebuild thread on AK -
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-sp-10mkii-restoring-an-icon.900468/

JP's storefront -
https://fidelisanalog.com

Amazing SP-10 content here -

https://www.theanalogdept.com/sp10-gal.html

SP-10_first_photo.jpg

(The funny widgets are the motor hub fixing plates)

No, you are not seeing double.

This is my newest and most ambitious project yet - Technics SP-10Mk2A. Neither have a PSU, but that's not a difficult thing. Happily, both are operational, I tested them today with a friend's PSU. One has a fiddly main switch. Both are in sorrier cosmetic shape than I thought. That may prove an issue, only time will tell.

So will I make one good one from the ashes of two? I have no idea yet. Of course, having two at the end of this is always more attractive of an option. I do, however, think I may make one black, that would look quite sharp.

On the to-do list -

Re-cap the main board.
Build PSU
Adjust main board and switches as needed.
Figure out if I have one good table or two.
Build plinth(s).
Address cosmetic issues.
Determine if I can get a long armwand for my Graham, or just get a 10.5" Jelco.
Etc...

So let's get started --

Like I mentioned, both tables are operative, the biggest concerns (other than the need to build PSUs for both) is purely cosmetic.

So let's look at the tables as I received them. These photos intentionally are showing all the warts as ugly as possible.

IMG_0547.jpg

The prettier one. Not bad generally, but the marring and corrosion is all on the 'close' side of the table where it will be seen.

IMG_05501.jpg

The text can be re-filled. the corrosion is fairly shallow.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

A couple of nicks in the black paint. No big deal.

IMG_05551.jpg

Marring on the paint, no corrosion.

IMG_0553.jpg

Inside the brake section is very clean, and there is plenty of friction material (felt) on the band.

IMG_0554.jpg

I have no idea if this is a lot of wear or not on the hub. I thought it worth a photo, to see if anybody can compare.

IMG_0563.jpg

The platter of the prettier one.

IMG_0564.jpg

A bit of corrosion, nothing severe at all.

IMG_0561.jpg

The stock platter mat had something glued to it. I have no idea hot to get a hard adhesive residue removed from rubber...

IMG_0562.jpg

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member

The uglier one.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Yes, this one is not as pretty.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

That's down into the metal. :(

IMG_0559.jpg

The platter is certainly worse.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_05581.jpg

This is 30 seconds with steel wool, so it's obvious that it will clean up.

Now the thing that is completely obvious to me after taking the photos and looking into them it that the 'damage' is, in fact, purely cosmetic. They got lightly wet on the top surface and were in a place that was damp or humid so that water had a chance to penetrate and corrode. But it is completely contained on the top surfaces. :) :) :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The good news - The insides are gorgeous. (This happens to be the innards of the uglier one. :) )

IMG_05441.jpg

Really, it's very clean. I'm still going to replace all the electrolytics, they get ravaged with age, so replacing them should last another 30 yr.

IMG_0543.jpg

It's 30-someting years old... a few cobwebs are part of the character.

IMG_05451.jpg

About the only thing really showing it's age are these PVC tubes as insulation, it's breaking down a bit and weeping oily stuff.

IMG_0546.jpg

This is neat - the edge connector's clips actually fold out, so there's very little stress when using the plugs.

You can have it bead blasted (glass) if it's not to deep.
The deeper one depending on the thickness could be belt sanded down just below the inter granular corrosion.
Used to see this on Lockheed Jetstar interior fuel tanks.
Using a belt sander on the plinth area is a little crude but will work if you distribute the load over a large area.
You could finish up with a sanding block to get the final look.
And no, we didn't,t use belt sanders on jets..

Regards
David

As for the glue on rubber mat... it's easy.
Soak in light oil a rug and rub it gently until it goes off.
Use the oil (or vaseline) to give back to the rubber that "like new" look.
If both are functional you can make two working examples...why toss anything away?
You can finance a perfect turntable with a very good plinth by selling the other refurbished specimen...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
me likee ;)

on (spinners) topic - I just got today Lenco L75 in perfect condition , regarding motor and spindle/bearing/platter

bought it for a friend , for 40E

:cheers:

rubber cleaning - put them in 45C water , with mild quantity of dish washing detergent

after 10 min or so , use sponge

rinse with same temp water

Last edited:
Very cool project, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
What type of plinth are you planning?
What type of arm are going to use?

I am just finishing an SP-15...I was lucky, it was in pristine shape.
The plinth I made is multi layered 1" thick...heavy as heck.

You've inspired me to start a thread....:)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My machinist friend was around today, so I took the platters to his shop and gave them a spin on the lathe -

I think they look quite a bit nicer! :D

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_05681.jpg

IMG_05671.jpg

Unfortunately the platter from the 'nicer' table got dropped in the process, my fault, and got a few dings in it. This is the worst one.

I'm still probably going to go back and give the platters another round of cleaning up, I didn't bring all the compounds I wanted to try, and also ran out of time. But as they stand right now, they look much, much better than when I started. :D

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Did I mention how much I hate you?

What am I going to do with two of these? Seriously...

And remember, I also have a fantastically good sounding, completely tweaked SL-1200...

As for the SP-10, I never intended on having two, the ebay seller mentioned he had another, (the mate of the first one, both from a radio station somewhere) that it was uglier, and he wasn't sure if it would do well on auction. (And after seeing it, I agree.) Anyway, he sold it for a price good enough that I couldn't really refuse, and now hopefully will have 2 when this process is complete.

And at that point, I'll sell one. :D. Interested?

Anyway, all ya'll ain't seen nuthin' yet...

Last edited:
Unfortunately the platter from the 'nicer' table got dropped in the process, my fault, and got a few dings in it. This is the worst one.

I'm still probably going to go back and give the platters another round of cleaning up, I didn't bring all the compounds I wanted to try, and also ran out of time. But as they stand right now, they look much, much better than when I started. :D

Shame you dropped it. Ask your buddy if he can skim the platter rim on the lathe, and get most of the "ding" (or dings) out. You have to use a low rpm thou, otherwise the platter will ring like crazy, and you'll get a lousy finish. Get the rest out with a big cotton buffing wheel and some compound.

jeff

Last edited:
Shame you dropped it. Ask your buddy if he can skim the platter rim on the lathe, and get most of the "ding" (or dings) out. You have to use a low rpm thou, otherwise the platter will ring like crazy, and you'll get a lousy finish. Get the rest out with a big cotton buffing wheel and some compound.

jeff

I agree.If this is the worst then you can easily skim it off by lowering the edge by a couple mm...(metric guy)!
After you're done and while it's spining rub it with some scotch-brite (take your time with the difficult places) and it will sparkle as new.
Actually do both again because i can see some un-worked areas...

As for the warm water and soap solution...i prefer putting back the oils in an old rubber mat that taking them out.If they do need a bath, immediately after washing them use vaseline or paraffin oil to moisture the rubber.
Let it soak for an hour and gently hand-rub it off.
Trust me, it works.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I won't skim the edge - as Choky says, it's personality now, and will be a reminder of this project. :)

That said, I will most likely go back and clean them up more at some point.

But that can wait, as it is much more important to build PSUs for these guys, and re-cap the drive PCB. Once that's done, I will get the drive adjusted and tuned-up to spec, and then disassemble everything, and re-finish the chassis of both table somehow.

I've ordered new Torlon thrust bearing plate caps from user510 - sp10mkII_pad Much, much more info, here -- sp10 brg
Necessary? Probably not, but I like the idea of overhauling the wear points.