78 Turntables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I appreciate commercial units that handle multiple speeds. Finding a nice broadcast behemoth capable of 20"+ transcription discs is a dream.

However, this is DIY. That means time for another effort of unapreciated futility. There has to be a segment of DIY that are complete 78 nerds.
To this end, and because I can and want a purpose built 78 system,
here we are. I'll be the first on my block.

And it is a MONO system.

Turntable capable of 65 to 90 +/- rpm, handling anything from my
5 & 1/2" Little Wonder records to 16" transcription discs with a nice modern cartridge.

A simple tube preamp with simple EQ switching for the various EQ schemes used by the record companies over the years. The early acoustic era thru shortly after WWII are of primary concern.

A high efficiency, full range speaker and enclosure or horn systen.

Driven by a MONO bloc single ended triode from 3 to 15 watts.

I sincerely welcome constructive comments and ideas. Just know I have no interest in transistors when it comes to the audio signal path. The preamp and amplifier will have tube rectifiers.

Naysayers can take solace in knowing the first of the three legged fuse enthusiasts began with the pre-invalidated argument of Class A Mosfet.

I've got plenty of parts and records to trade. It will be interesting to see how far I can build, trade and barter this system into exsistence. I have all the woodworking tools and know a few machinists and CNC'ers. I have a few years with an Edsyn Loner and Kester 44 in hand.

Peace,
Rx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.