Question about turn table edge clamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not really sure if this is the proper forum or not, but I had a question about edge clamps for turntables. Will they work on any turntable (such as a thorens td150)? I really can't put a spindle weight or clamp on the table because the spindle is really pretty short with the record in place. I was thinking that maybe the edge clamp would be an option for some older vinyl that I have picked up that is less than flat.

I think the spindle weight and the clamp do different jobs: an edge clamp (which I have seen very rarely) is aimed at straightening wobbly discs and giving additional vinyl/plate contact, thus minimizing vibrations; a spindle weight does only the latter, albeit only partially.
You really only need a few mm of spindle to put weight on, it is useful only for centering.

The edge weight or clamp is a great idea, but the cost is great when you consider how to make one.
The ones out there are made of solid billet aluminum.
I have not seen a casting yet..,
Now consider cutting one at 12"+ DIA. for mounting on a lathe and you get the picture.
There's one on flee bay for 700 clams (VPI)
A few months ago someone had a few of these and the bids went up to 400$ +
You would need to have one made specifically for your DIA. And if spring loaded, you can forget it because of its weight.

Regards
David

Not really sure if this is the proper forum or not, but I had a question about edge clamps for turntables. Will they work on any turntable (such as a thorens td150)? I really can't put a spindle weight or clamp on the table because the spindle is really pretty short with the record in place. I was thinking that maybe the edge clamp would be an option for some older vinyl that I have picked up that is less than flat.
I have a td150 I won't put a weight on it as it fools with the suspenion Although a centre type clamp is possible on the not overly long spindle.. IF.. it's competently designed.
Easiest is to simply re-buy a flat recording :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.