Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2014, 07:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions

I've survived another year more or less intact, and was thinking of gifting myself with a good MOR moving coil cartridge. I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?
Also, I have a choice of stepup transformers to initially use with said cartridge, as I've been semi-obsessively collecting iron of various sorts for a while now. I currently have a pair of Beyer microphone transformers, a pair of McGahan MC-2s, and a pair of Jensen JT-115Ks. Which would you use?

I have many options for the rest of the cartridge signal train, and I may consider building a booster later on with some of the BF862s or 2SK170s I have on hand.
Old 24th August 2014, 08:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?
Nope, unless you want/like the elliptical stylus of the AT33EV. I'm using a low hours original PTG, and have worn out the stylus of another, which with be going to the SoundSmith fairly soon.

Quote:
Also, I have a choice of stepup transformers to initially use with said cartridge, as I've been semi-obsessively collecting iron of various sorts for a while now. I currently have a pair of Beyer microphone transformers, a pair of McGahan MC-2s, and a pair of Jensen JT-115Ks. Which would you use?
Try them all and pick your favorite. I'm using a Hag. Piccolo with my MC's.

jeff
Old 25th August 2014, 04:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Try a Rondo Blue

They are phased out and cheaper if still available. It has proven to be excellent sounding and definitely reduces record noise from the AT-OC9 II that I was using prior to that. Excellent balance and imaging.
Old 25th August 2014, 06:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Rondo is ~300 dollars more than my price range.
Old 25th August 2014, 07:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Some other possibilities in my price range might be Benz MC Gold, Dynavector 10X5 (High Output) and Ortofon Quintet Blue.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:02 PM   #6
vulejov is offline vulejov  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Try to find Ortofon Salsa..
Goldring Elite is also very good..
Old 25th August 2014, 09:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm also confining my search to currently manufactured cartridges, which leaves out the Ortofon Salsa.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The Goldring Elite is about twice as much as I want to spend as well - I'm confining my search to cartridges in the ~500 dollar range, similar to the AT33PTG.
Old 25th August 2014, 10:24 PM   #9
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've survived another year more or less intact, and was thinking of gifting myself with a good MOR moving coil cartridge. I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?

I have many options for the rest of the cartridge signal train, and I may consider building a booster later on with some of the BF862s or 2SK170s I have on hand.
Have you ever had a Denon DL 103 - it has a conical stylus. Very reasonable price too.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I agree the Denon DL103 is not a bad choice. I have several and while it isn't my Lyra it does sound darn good and is great for DIY.

Hide this!Advertise here!