Turntable too fast. Caps replaced. Next step? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2014, 01:46 AM   #1
ZackR is offline ZackR  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable too fast. Caps replaced. Next step?

Hello,

I have a Project/One Model DR-770 turntable that played fine one day and then a couple days later when I went to use it, it was just turning at a very fast speed. There was no change in the speed with the 33/45 switch or the pitch control.

I used Deoxit to clean the pitch control, speed selector and the variable resistors. No change.

I then changed all the electrolytic capacitors, still no change. That is where I am now.

I am just looking for advice on what my next step should be. Should I just replace all the ceramic capacitors, transistors, and resistors and hope for the best or actually get a multi meter and try to figure out what is actually wrong with it?

I have also taken apart the motor and everything looks ok, visually, did not test anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated as to where I should turn my attention to next to try to get this thing running again. I have a new record coming in a month and I would like to get it running at a normal speed by then.

Also, I am a complete beginner with electronics, so that is why I have no idea what to do next.

Thanks

Zack Rielley
Old 21st July 2014, 01:56 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Obviously you should try to figure out what is wrong with it, a far better approach and more likely to result in a fix than just randomly and blindly replacing what are most likely good parts.

Have you considered the possibility that it is nothing more than a cold solder joint? Or a crack in the PCB?

Not too sure that the meter is going to tell you much.. Might want to see if you have a friend with some experience who might be able to figure things out.

Edit: It goes without saying that you made sure warranty was expired before you attempted repairs. You might still find Project a good source of information and spare parts or not, but you have to ask to make that determination.

Hide this!Advertise here!