RIAA 75uS on first stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

Here is an LTspice schematic of my proposed first stage. I am concerned about noise with MC cartridges....

LT spice does not seem to lower the noise figure when more jfets are added to the first stage, and the noise seems rather high, at around 110 uV. Using an op amp with feedback results in much much lower noise ( 1.6 uV ).

Is this solely due to the feedback? Can I acheive op amp levels of noise with jfets?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers! :drink:

Attachments

• Parallel front end with 75uS time constant.asc
    1.7 KB · Views: 61
Can LTspice make pdf files? Here is a png via paint. I'm sure there is much wrong with this. It is my first ever circuit design. BTW: LTspice noise analysis does show a drop off in noise as the jfets were added. I was using it wrong...

Attachments

• RIAA front end.png
    RIAA front end.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Hi,

attached is a changed file.

If the filter in the frontend should work at all it requires a series impedance it can work upon.
In the file the signal voltage sources therefore got a series resistance value of 1R.
Set it back to 0 and see the difference (for 75 choose appropriate values).

Then, the dimensioning of the circuit is completely off.
- The JFETs are almost fully cut off.
- The negative supply is not necessary, thanks to JFETs beeing depletion mode (normally on) devices and as long as the input voltage remains lower than the Vgs value.
- The Source resistor directly affects noise. The larger the more noise. So keep Rs as small as possible.
- The Drain resistor also affects noise- just on a smaller scale than Rs. Try to keep it as small as possible also. This requires to run the JFETs with considerable drain current.
- Choose rather high drain current values. Besides lowering voltage noise JFETs improve sonically when running a bit hot.

In the modded file the single-supply, lowohmic , high-Bias version´s noise figure is 16dB lower.

jauu
Calvin

Attachments

• Parallel front end with 75uS time constant.asc
    5.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wow! That is much more than I expected THANK YOU!

I was not sure how to set the values of Rsand Rd...

By saying that the jfets were nearly cut off, that means they were not working in saturation mode? Sorry for the newbie question, it's a little difficult picking this up just with googled info.

This site is invaluable for gems such as this!

Cheers! :drink:

Hmm....the board worked great as a sim, it worked great by itself when hooked up to the frequency generator, but when it was moved into the phono section, not so good.

It is possible that the connections were not so good. I will have to revisit the connection scheme.

So here is a quick photo of the front end. Please excuse the use of the webcam. This shows the new connection strategy.... sip pins into the op amp IC socket.... V+, Gnd, In-, out.

This will be tested shortly.

Attached is an ASC of the circuit, and png.... power supply not included....

The circuit on the lower left is the riaa equalization we are trying to undo...

Attachments

• jfet front end.jpg
    jfet front end.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 76
  • full original.asc
    8.8 KB · Views: 21
  • schematics.png
    schematics.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 75
Another probem... the yin-yang diode pair and parallel resistor cannot go between power supply common and earth. Since all signal grounds have been referred to PS common, this puts an odd impedance on the signal grounds of any ampifying section, which alters the RIAA equalization on actively equalized systems very bady.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.