Which mat is better for a turntable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which mat is better for a turntable? Rubber (gum) or felt like this ...

Now I have a rubber one with circles but I try to clear it with alchool or distilated water and no results.. I mean if I buy a new mat but made from felt, would spin (skate) the disc? Which adherence or advantages and disadvantages has each mat?

Which is the best-sounding mat depends, for a start, on what your platter is made of. If you want to end up with the best-sounding mat then you can take 2 approaches:
1. keep finding new materials to make mats out of ... and listen to the result.
2. keep buying new mats ... and listen to the result.

A mate of mine uses the 1st method and has tried many different materials. Each time he finds one that sounds better, he brings it over and we try it out on my LP12. The current mat is leather - smooth side up (sounds better than suede side up! :) ). Trouble is, Rick had to make mats out of several different hides before he found the best one.

I have for sale a 2012 Linn felt mat and a compressed-felt mat from the House of Linn in the UK (sounds better IMO, than the Linn mat ... but not as good as my leather mat) , if you're interested. :)

Regards,

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.