My New Lenco and Arm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2014, 10:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My New Lenco and Arm

Hello Everyone
Some of you will be aware of my other contributions to this site relating to the linear tracker (which is great) and variations of Stew's arm (Nanook), which I have also been working on recently-watch this space....

My latest efforts are shown in the enclosed pictures. I'd made a number of 'WTA-type ' arm over the last few months which have been highly successful. The latest version (shown in the pics) is the most successful yet and, combined with the Lenco (which cost me 20.00 four years ago), it outperforms all my other decks-one of which is a 401 with slate plinth which cost me an arm and a leg-the 401 has the latest arm's predecessor on it.

Tell me what you think
Regards
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lenco plus new arm 002.jpg (743.7 KB, 813 views)
File Type: jpg Lenco plus new arm 001.jpg (892.9 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg June 7 001.JPG (945.0 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg June 7 002.JPG (844.9 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg And more Lenco 001.jpg (705.6 KB, 677 views)
Old 7th June 2014, 01:27 PM   #2
fmena is offline fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice looking rig!! Can you tell us what the plinth base is made out of and how you went about making it (or cutting it)?
Cheers
FM
Old 7th June 2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Marra is online now Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Excellent work Chris.Is the plinth mdf?
Old 7th June 2014, 02:27 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Very clever arm design. I assume the golf ball is sitting in silicone oil or something similar?

What is the plinth made of? It reminds me of corian which reputedly is a good choice.
Old 7th June 2014, 04:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi
The golf ball sits in a silicone bath which make the whole assembly very stable. The plinth is solid made of 3/4" thick marine ply, glued together-very inert and coupled with the two stacked platters-it is very heavy indeed.It seems some of the mythology which has been growing of late around the Lenco 75 is in fact reality-quite rare in hi-fi. Watch their prices-they are on the rise!!
Regards
Chris
Old 10th June 2014, 01:42 AM   #6
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice chris! I am in the process of planning a Lenco and Arm... Not sure what arm to make. I think I'm gonna need one of each haha.

The new Well Tempered style arm is really a beauty. Looks very clean. I see you used screws instead of a through tube on the ball. Do you have a link to your thread on that arm? The headshell area is very clever. Is that end solid? Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 06:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Mortron
The headshell is cut from aluminum tubing and then filled with epoxy putty. This not only makes it very inert but also stiffer than any other headshell I've had experience of.

Design is very simple and I've found a really easy way of mounting it (and adjusting height) by using just on 1/4" bolt which goes straight through the plinth.

The Lenco is the real surprise to me-I don't like to think how much I've spent on other 'superdecks' to be left with performance that doesn't come close!
Regards
Chris
Old 17th June 2014, 08:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Reply to posts

Nice job. Looks very nice. I have to agree with these old idlers and WTA clones being giant killers. I don't think I've played my Well Tempered Turntable since my Neat Shield MO-19 and WTA mode started playing… and it's a killer front end. There's just more rhythm and pacing and fun and excitement in the idler's sound.

I mounted my WT Arm mod in the rear playing position and hope to eventually find a 12" arm to take the primary position.

I used an old original WT Arm that I had lying around and upgraded it with the current Simplex design. My arm mounts to the top of the ball and can pivot to lessen the anti-skate. I tried a complete rotation in the fishing line but, to me, it seemed to remove the anti-skate force entirely. Then again, I use STP rather than silicon fluid in this WT arm mod AND have with my Well Tempered Turntable for 18 years… excessive anti-skate is probably lessened with the silicon fluid.

Nice rubber grommet, by the way - I like the shininess. Did you lube it or is it Army spec?

Last edited by audiof001; 17th June 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 9th April 2015, 03:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Chris: What diameter is your suspension arm? Looks to be 1/4" from my eyeballing it. I made a WT Clone 12" arm and used 3/4" d stainless for the pillar and 3/8" d stainless for the suspension arm. I think the 3/8" d plus grommet diameter on my arm is putting too much force on the tonearm when I put only a partial twist in the fishing line. I've been running my arm set to underhang with the cartridge parallel to the arm tube and a full twist in the line and like how it sounds. It looks like you are doing the same. Were you getting too much anti skate force with only a partial twist in your line? You should be able to run your's in overhang.
Old 11th April 2015, 07:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi
The horizontal bar is 8mm aluminium. I have always (and I've built several now) used only a 90 degree anti-clockwise twist on the thread-ie from 'a quarter to three' to 'six o clock' and then hooked it over the grommet. This provides the required bias and I've never had tracking problems. By the way, here are some pictures of the latest version. You might notice some changes. Also, since then, I've replaced the perspex cartridge carrier with one made from wood-it makes a very significant improvement.
regards
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTL TRIBUTE NEW 001.jpg (551.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg WTL TRIBUTE NEW 005.jpg (643.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg WTL TRIBUTE NEW 008.JPG (891.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg WTL TRIBUTE NEW 003.jpg (518.0 KB, 143 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!