Phono GND/shield connected to amp GND?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Being a beginner I'm working my way through my first project which is a chip amp. It has a phono input, a 'normal' input and a 3.5mm stereo jack input. It also has a loop breaker[1] so the GND of the RCA input sockets need to be disconnected from the chassis. I plan to connect the shielded signal wires to the central star on the amps power board, leaving the GND of the panel mount RCA sockets unconnected and insulated.

Looking at my record player I see that the power plug doesn't have an earth pin. Must the outer ring of the male phono interconnect comming from the record player connect to the GND of my amp for the phono shielding to work? I guess the same question applies to the mini jack which is intended for mp3 players since these don't have their own ground either.

Thanks

[1] Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.