How "Hi-Fi" are FM transmitters ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default How "Hi-Fi" are FM transmitters ?

Thinking about using a small FM transmitter to sync music (from computer or ipad or even an analogue source) to an FM tuner in my house - so range is small, but quality of sound is important. Any idea if the low cost modules I see around have good sound quality ?

Mono is sufficient, so long as it sounds good.

Thanks.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Blue tooth? FM transmitter and receiver? I/R?
Velleman make a number of transmitters and receivers.
Hows about using your router with WiFi and a receiver?
Old 27th May 2014, 10:12 PM   #3
ag8908 is offline ag8908  United States
diyAudio Member

you mean the things that allow you to listen to the source you're broadcasting by dialing into an FM channel (usually 87 or something like that)?

They suck a**. Horrible sound quality.

Edit: I just saw that you wrote mono is sufficient. It sounds like you're just listening to audio books or something like that. It's fine for that purpose.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
FM is used by broadcasters, universally and produce accurate results. No problems with sound quality.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, I mean FM broadcast not bluetooth. Mono is OK because my music listening is mostly mono - but it's not audio books, it's music. I have a Dynalab FM tuner as a source and thought I could 'stream' via this tuner.

Horrible audio quality is not going to be good enough. Sounds like this is a dead-end idea ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:26 PM   #6
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not horrible at all ! You can build one for almost peanuts to try out. Here's just a few examples.

FM Transmitter circuits with schematic diagrams

Just don't overload the input
Old 27th May 2014, 10:37 PM   #7
ag8908 is offline ag8908  United States
diyAudio Member

I got one for my car once, to listen to my MP3 player on my car's FM radio. Returned it after like 20 minutes of use. It was not at all hi-fi in any way for well recorded music. Might possibly be ok for old muddy mono songs though.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ramsey Electronics has several kits.

AM & FM : Transmitting and Receiving : Ramsey Electronics®
Old 28th May 2014, 12:00 AM   #9
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

My FM tuner lacks "hi-end" sound vs my other sources, but better than MP3 digital via internet playback, It's more dynamic and where MP3 noise is hardness, FM is analog hash..

No headaches ......
Old 28th May 2014, 12:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
Not horrible at all ! You can build one for almost peanuts to try out. Here's just a few examples.

FM Transmitter circuits with schematic diagrams

Just don't overload the input
did you try one yourself ?

Hide this!Advertise here!