New turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
i'm new to this board and new to hi-fi equipment too. i bought a turntable cause i want to have a great sounding hi-fi equipement. i had a old technic which was ok but not more. i bought a thorens rd-166 mk II w/ mayware formula 4 arm. i bought a grado gold cartridge for the turntable. i bought the turntable 185$, is it a fair price? its in truly great condition and the arm have been put professionally. my second question is, since i'm new i don't know a lot about hi-fi. i like to know if the turntable is a good one, i don't want the high-end equipment but i want something that sound truly great...and, to my hears, i can't conplain....
last question.... which integrated, at a good quality/price would work great with my turntable? thanks a lot! olivier

Attachments

• thorens - td-166 -4.jpg
    thorens - td-166 -4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 602
hi planet10,
thank for the reply, its very appreciate.
when i brought the turntable to my local high-end hi-fi shop to put the new catridge, the guy said that the arm wasn't set like others he has seen but he checked it, he said that eveything were working perfectly. maybe not at it maximum through......i don't know.
fun to know that is was a fair price...i don't much about this kind of gear....
thanks again. olivier

Its a good combo in my opinion too.

If its fairly standard then there are a whole series of modifications
you could make to the turntable and arm that would honestly move
the sound quality up one full notch, but you have to be confident
to do this.

A nice mat is a good place to start if you can find one, failing this felt.

Regarding your amplifier question, one that has a good phono stage
is a somewhat obvious reply, but the older good second-hand amps
are better in this respect. Second-hand build quality also counts.

:) sreten.

I'll 4th that opinion it is a bloody good tt and arm & price you paid but I would hold off with the mods for a while until you get familiar with the sound then you will be in a better position to judge if your mods are good bad or indifferent jus my 2c worth:D
cheers and more good luckTC:devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.