How do I polish out fine scratches of record deck cover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nice one (not pledge then?). Any special cloth required to go with it?

Just a very soft cotton cloth. Maybe use an old duster. Finish off with the spray polish to get a gleaming finish.

I wonder if toothpaste is any good?

You wonder. Toothpaste works really well on plastic headlamps that have gone milky/yellowed. You would sware that the plastic had aged but its not in many cases, its a film or layer on the surface. Use toothpaste and they come up as twinkly as new one.

Toothpaste does work to some extent, but it is surprisingly abrasive.
Try it on a old cd or dvd and you can see all of the fine scratches it creates.
The best polish I have tried so far is from Novus, they have 3 grades that include a heavy & fine scratch remover as well as a clean & shine plastic polish.
NOVUS Plastic Polish
It works great, I have used it on dvds, laser discs, automotive lenses, as well as arcade machine plexiglass & acrylic displays.
The gel toothpaste I have tried would be somewhere between the heavy and fine scratch remover in cutting and polishing ability.
A power buffer with give the best results, but you can get good results by hand.

Hard to say until you actually try it, and also depends how fussy you are.
If any of the scratches are deeper, then you need to work down from a heavier to a finer compound.
Some of the automotive lens polishing kits may work as well, but I have not tried any myself.
The only other thing I have tried is 3M automotive glaze, and that worked fairly well with a buffer.
I notice the uk amazon carries the Novus as well, I got my 8oz kit on eBay.
You can also check with your local appliance shops. they may carry something that could work for you.

If you have really deep scratches you can use ultra fine wet/dry sandpaper in the 1000/2000 grit range.
The key point is to sand in one direction only until the main scratch is gone, and then you must polish ACROSS the sanding marks to cut them down to what you want with your final fine polishing compound.
A small buffer works wonders if you have one.
A product called swirl away ( black in color ) does what it says for final finishing.

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.