Tascam 122 mkII Tape Deck, no sound :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, finally have a problem without a posted solution it seems. I picked up a Tascam 122 mkII at a flea market a couple days ago for $30. The guy powered it on and we saw it spin a tape without too much trouble, so I picked it up. However, the VU meters are unresponsive, and although it will play a tape, no audio comes out and (I don't know if they should but) no activity either when set to record and have sound coming into the tape deck. I have not tested with the XLR ins/outs, only the RCA jacks. I'm looking for a service manual as I write this, but I'm not sure where to start as I've not done cassette deck repair before myself, although it's about time I learned. Does anybody have any ideas what the culprit might be? If I plug in headphones to the front jack and turn it up, I can hear some staticy noise, but nothing else until it is powered off. From what I can tell everything else works as it should, I tested all the different functions and with the exception of the strange no sound issue, everything else looks like it works. Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys might be able to offer.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Cassette decks are pretty straightforward as a rule. As with any faultfinding, start with the basics such as checking all supplies, and also any switched supplies (these are supplies that are enabled only in either record or play). You are going to need a circuit for that unless you really have a good grasp of what to expect and can identify the various sections visually. Problems with "record/play" switching is a very common issue if mechanical switches are used. These are long metal switches with as many as perhaps 20 or more pins on them. They usually respond to a good clean. Or it could all be electronic switching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.