Budget Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just goes to show if a small outfit can make a TT at that price then the big boys must be laughing all the way to the bank.

even with import/vat to the UK that would still work out roughly the same 1-1 $£.

£175 is silly money for a half decent entry level TT.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I did see a bit of a platter wobble in one video, but the reason could be the way it was set up.

My Grado Silver cart list price is more than the entry level table. Hell, I have IC connectors that cost more, not even a whole cable! Doesn't seem right does it? :D

I doubt it has the precision of VPI or Linn, but at that price, who's complaining?
One has to assume- you get what you pay for, but if it performs well at all, good for U-Turn!

Cheap tables are down right unattractive. These tables are at least cool looking.

I hope they do very well!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried for a long while to make affordable tube gear and found it very difficult to make enough money to stay afloat, found it easier to make more expensive upmarket gear in small volumes, still not enough. Today with Kickstarter and the many OEM options I might have made a success of it. I seriously doubt that these guys could have done what they are doing 20yrs ago at this price point.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I seriously doubt that these guys could have done what they are doing 20yrs ago at this price point.

20 years ago it would have been esentally impossible to sell direct - and that's the biggest reason for them to offer thier products at those prices. if this were in a hifi shop the price would be, at the minimum, double. For the exact same 'table, with the exact same profit (or less) for the manufacturer.

For a niche product in a niche industry, selling direct is the only way new guys can survive.

vdi_nenna said:
How did Heath Kit and Bottlehead do it?

Heathkit had a HUGE advertising budget, mail-order staff, and was basically a big company that used you as assembly labor. Bottlehead takes orders and sits on them until there is enough orders ready to go and paid to buy parts from suppliers (like Mouser) at large quantity discounts. (Not a bad idea at all, but your customers wait a lot...) Anyway, there are always a few winners in a down market, Bottlehead has been really smart.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
20 years ago, I was using a text based Unix email system. It was limited to the campus.
Today, I can start a business and push advertising out, whether you want it or not, at very little cost.
Imagine Fund Anything 20-30 years ago? I'd say there is an advantage today, but without a solid product, it doesn't matter.

Using my town (of about 20k pop) as an example.......

30+ years ago there was no less than 5 stereo shops (and this included Radio Shack) where you could actually audition any number of hi end audio components, 2 electronic supply shops.... and 2 electronic/stereo repair shops

Today, we just have Radio Shack that only sells junk audio

So, the only way for a customer to even know what products exist is to know about a web site.

If this was thirty years ago, you could actually go done to a local shop and see'/touch, etc this actual TT and not just see a pic.
Yes, you paid pad for that hands on experience but, IMO it was well worth it..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.