Rega P1 - wobble seems worse with record - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2014, 12:58 AM   #1
thehoj is offline thehoj  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Rega P1 - wobble seems worse with record

I've got a Rega P1, and it seems to have a tiny bit of wobble, not sure if it's the platter or the sub platter causing the issue.. But without the mat on the platter, I measure less than 1mm of up and down on the platter. This doesn't seem too bad, and apparently up to 5mm is acceptable (according to Rega, although I would definitely not be okay with that).

I'm okay with this, but when I put the mat on, and a brand new record, the record itself seems to wobble up and down worse than the platter it's sitting on.

I'm linking a video, and you can see at the start if you watch both the record and the platter, that the platter itself isn't moving up and down much at all, but the record seems to have a lot more up and down movement.. Is this normal? Do most records have a little bit of warp in them? Could it be my mat not being perfectly level or something like that?

You can see later on in the video the platter spinning with no record or mat on it.

Here's the video Rega P1 wobble (worse with record in play) - YouTube
Old 18th March 2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The mat seems uneven. Get a machined one with label recess like the ISOkinetik.
Old 18th March 2014, 05:28 PM   #3
thehoj is offline thehoj  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
The mat seems uneven. Get a machined one with label recess like the ISOkinetik.
It seems like the mat to me as well. Those ISOkinetik mats look nice, I'll order one. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!