Advice on ortofon Stylus' - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2004, 11:17 PM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Only when played with a 0.6 spherical stylus.
Precisely....

Now we all know how perfect CDs are....Don't you???

Some people are going to hate me for this but it's like having a nice juicy steak (music) that you turn in to minced meat (AD conversion at its best) whilst hoping to turn it into that nice steak again. (DA conversion at its best)....

When I hear claim of how perfect digital really is I take notice that these claims usually come from people that neither understand analogue nor digital.

Analogue could and often beat CD hands down and I'm sure very few of our members ever had a chance to experience analogue at it's best...
I still have to hear a single CD that comes close in any of the respects it promised initially.

Add to that that the music/recording industry has been carefully digging its own grave over the past 25 years and you'd understand why I'd rather spend 5000 USD on vinyl than waste it on a CDP....

Just my opinion though,

P.S. Interesting website indeed, Sreten.
Old 9th January 2004, 01:29 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Frank.......

You know I wasn't serious.

Eric.
Old 9th January 2004, 01:48 AM   #13
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default What's the value of your records?

I assume that you actually mean that you have FF and VMS bodies. My recollection is that the FF15 has the brash, lively sound to be expected from its price (about 15 in 1982). The difficult bit in a moving magnet cartridge is the stylus. Thus, the cost of a replacement stylus is most of the cost of the cartridge. In other words, an old body has virtually no value and you would be better off going for a more modern cartridge. The VMS20 was quite a nice cartridge, but needed a very low mass arm to work properly. The SME3009SII was ideal.

Vinyl is horribly flawed. Dreadful stuff. It has deliberate monoing to avoid excessive vertical excursions, analogue compression to avoid replay distortion by cruddy cartridges, distortion and frequency response dependent on groove diameter, resonances aplenty (LF and HF), and it depends on scraping a gem along soft plastic. In addition to all that, it attempts to work by precisely measuring dimensions comparable with the wavelength of light.

I have twice as many LPs as CDs.

I think the question you have to ask is, "How much is my record collection worth?" If your record collection is valuable, then you need to preserve it by using a cartridge with a non-damaging (probably modern) stylus. Fortunately, I adopted this approach very early on, so very few of my LPs were wrecked for subsequent playback, but there were still some casualties.
Old 9th January 2004, 02:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Dammit....

Quote:
Vinyl is horribly flawed.
Certainly is....010101

Quote:
Dreadful stuff.
Yep, horrid...Compared to mastertapes and first cuts...sure.

Quote:
In addition to all that, it attempts to work by precisely measuring dimensions comparable with the wavelength of light
I'm starting to wonder why I enjoy it after all...CD is so much better, or so they keep on telling me....

Maybe I should enjoy that medium but somehow, I don't....What's wrong with me?

Quote:
I have twice as many LPs as CDs.
I happen to have 6.000 times as much and NOT just because I'm a little older I'd like to think...

I'd hope that my investment is safe and that I'm not going insane,
with a 5.000 USD cart, a 6.000 USD tonearm, a 10.000 USD TT people must think I'm crazy...
Not to mention the record collection I own....
It's got nothing to do with the cash invested but I have a nagging feeling some people don't have a clue about how good vinyl replay can sound.

Oh, not to mention my friend's system, worth twice as much and no CDs in sight..........

He's really feeling bad now...

Quote:
then you need to preserve it by using a cartridge with a non-damaging (probably modern) stylus. Fortunately, I adopted this approach very early on, so very few of my LPs were wrecked for subsequent playback, but there were still some casualties.
Yeah...High time I write a book on that too...
Or maybe a book on what enjoyment of music is all about first...
Within a few generations of musical decadence it probably won't be worth the effort anyway ...Screw me ...

Cheers,
Old 9th January 2004, 02:32 AM   #15

Oh yes. I forgot to say, my vinyl sounds better than CD.
Old 9th January 2004, 02:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Oh yes. I forgot to say, my vinyl sounds better than CD.
Really now...

Ever wondered why this is?

Cheers,
Old 9th January 2004, 12:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Ever wondered why this is?
Frequently, knowing how technically flawed it is. I've given up now, and just assume that it's black magic.
Old 9th January 2004, 10:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I've given up now, and just assume that it's black magic.
LOL...

Nah, just black vinyl....

WHY?

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2004, 02:01 AM   #19
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm one of thoe guys, that for whatever reason...seeems to always have his rig sound it's best..right at the END of the LP side. Not the start, the middle, or the 1/3 points, but somehow.....the end. I dunno either. And, yes, i do know how to set up a TT. I can even tune a LP12!
Old 17th January 2004, 03:07 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

"The main components of the modern (1971) disc cutting lathe are the turntable, the lathe bed and sled, the pitch/depth control computer, and the cutting head. The Neumann VMS-70 lathe is illustrated in Figs. 12-4 . The tube entering the front of the cutter head provides helium cooling to permit extended operation at high cutting velocities.
The turntable is very heavy in order to reduce speed variations via the flywheel effect. It is driven by a special motor and linkage system to eliminate flutter and rumble from the recording. Three sets of stroboscopic rings on the outer rim calibrate the four switch-selectable speeds of the turntable: 16 2/3, 22 , 33 1/3, and 45 rpm. A vacuum suction system secures the recording blanks to the turntable via holes in the turntable surface. The holes can be selectively opened or closed to provide proper suction to hold lacquer discs from 7 to 16 inches in diameter. The suction is introduced through a flexible pipe connected to the hollow center post of the turntable."

Anybody ever used one of these cutting turntables for playback ?.

Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!