My Linear Tracker (a new variation perhaps?) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2014, 07:49 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

It will swing in this case too.
Old 15th March 2014, 08:36 PM   #22
soyuz is offline soyuz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG139 View Post
Hi Everyone
I've got all the parts lying around and did a similar thing to Bill with two alu tubes. Sure enough, the lack of friction was incredible. I don't think there will be an issue on the vertical plane as long as the rods are well secured and horizontal. I believe it's a couple of hours work so I should have something up and running well before Easter.
Chris
go for it, you won't be disappointed , as you found out the best characteristic is overall low friction (vertical and horizontal) and depending on materials and construction is easy to achieve very low mass.

one thing I was concern with was the wear (or shatter) on the rods an ball when not using any lubricant, in the Cantus bearing the arm works better without any type of lubricant but in this case I tried with different type of lubricants like mineral, teflon... and finally I got a really nice result using the old and trusty WD40 but in very small quantity as to only leave a film on the "center channel" and on the balls, I don't use it directly, I use a Q tip dipped on the lubricant , no problems with dust neither but I guess this is very depending on the environment or the formation of static and so on...
other interesting approach is the use of self-lubricant type of materials, polymers, nylon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I also wondered about the vertical friction maybe beeing too high to allow the cart to track warps properly.
If the upper 'rail' is made from a curved track instead of two rods, a cartridge beam attached to the curved track could tilt nearly frictionless, as the ball and the 'rail' would contact in only one point.
The curved track could be a section cut from a tube with a diameter a bit larger than the ball's.
It could also be a complete tube like in drawing 1 the 'upper carriage' but without the W-shaped part named 'Slede met V-Groef'.
interesting idea but the friction in the vertical movement is not a issue at all and considering the initial experiments I did with a copy of the Opus Cantus I would say it offers more friction in both planes than this type of design.
but hey!, this is not place for non-inquiring minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
And if you take the two half parts of the tube, one for the low rail, the other for the up rail, you have only two contact points for each ball.

But it swings this way.
yes that is something to consider, a good "grip" between the parts to avoid "looseness" of the carriage.
Old 16th March 2014, 06:28 AM   #23
Calvin is online now Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
And if you take the two half parts of the tube, one for the low rail, the other for the up rail, you have only two contact points for each ball.
But it swings this way.
Yes, I think, that the fixation of the ball in perpendicular-to-the-rail direction is a requirement.
The suggestions for a 4-point and 3-point sytem fulfill the requirement, while he 2-point system does not.
If a certain amount of friction for the vertical movement is advantageous, the 4-point system will be prime choice.
It seems the easiest to build and also to source parts for.

jauu
Calvin
Old 19th March 2014, 09:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quick question Soyuz, how do you deal with the raising and lowering of the head to and rom the record and the return after the side has finished? I've been playing and this seems to be one area where its not too steady.
Old 20th March 2014, 01:03 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffything View Post
Quick question Soyuz, how do you deal with the raising and lowering of the head to and rom the record and the return after the side has finished? I've been playing and this seems to be one area where its not too steady.
in my case during normal use I only manipulate the back or counterweight side of the carriage, the general technique for manipulating the arm is basically the same as any other pivoting arm with no cue lever, don't grab it and/or use only one finger (the "pinky" finger is good candidate) that's the key for a gentle "touchdown" and "elevation".

if you want you can add a cueing mechanism with a lever to your tonearm.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:30 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ok, at the moment I'm collecting various bits to have a go at putting something together. Trying out the balls on the runners seem to leave the top runners very loose on the balls and easy to topple off. I guess once the headshell and arm are connected it will add a little weight and hold it steady. I've got an idea for the dust problem (very hush hush at the moment, I don't want industrial spies getting hold of my thoughts/ideas )
Old 20th March 2014, 10:42 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffything View Post
Ok, at the moment I'm collecting various bits to have a go at putting something together. Trying out the balls on the runners seem to leave the top runners very loose on the balls and easy to topple off. I guess once the headshell and arm are connected it will add a little weight and hold it steady.
yes, when you install the cartridge and counter weight it will feel more solid and as in some unipivot designs is a good idea to place the majority of the weight lower than the pivot point. if you look at the pictures from my first post the rod that holds the cartridge goes under the two rods that forms the upper carriage I tried above it but I concluded it was not as firm. many arms (specially unipivots) take advantage of lowering the center of gravity for stability and it really works.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:29 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Soyuz,

I'll be giving the ideas a go at the weekend to see what happens.

Reports may follow.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:35 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Likewise-I'll be putting it together this weekend and will report my findings-watch this space.......
Chris
Old 22nd March 2014, 06:15 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Well project number 1499 has begun a couple of hours down the shed following a few ideas running around my head and its coming together. Based on Soyuz' idea the base, bottom runners, balls and arm are semi sorted and dry fitted to give me a feeling of how it'll look. What the initial opinion guys?

Click the image to open in full size.

Still got plenty to do and the head-shell/cartridge holder may be changed depending on weight.

Hide this!Advertise here!