GLIDING FOR 90 - mechanical linear tonearms: no airpump, no servo - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2014, 03:49 PM   #11
diyrayk is offline diyrayk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 1910 acoustic passive linear tracker phonograph

Speaking of grand daddy lineage [no pun intended], I came across this 1910 patent for a passive linear tracking pickup for the horn on an acoustic phonograph. The patent even describes tilting the the platter and pickup, presumably to overcome some of the 'sticktion' of the rollers on the two parallel tracks - a concept I've seen mentioned in another thread.

The U.S. patent number is 948,959.

Methinks too much VTF for vinyl, though.

Ray K
Attached Images
File Type: png 1_Pat#0948959 1910 LT.png (29.1 KB, 241 views)
File Type: png 2_Pat#0948959 1910 LT.png (93.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: png 3_Pat#0948959 1910 LT.png (78.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 8th March 2014, 03:56 PM   #12
dady is offline dady  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
There has to be a way to get that 90 on a stylus without the damn air pump and servo!

To avoid hijacking other tonearm threads so I decided to start a new thread focusing on the discussion and design ideas for non-airbearing, non-servo style tonearms that can attain tangential tracking, mechanical linear tracker if you will. And for those interested in pivoting tangential tonearm, there's already a thread available in this forum.

This is purely an intellectual exercise and for entertainment only so this is not a "project" thread or step by step work in progress thread. You can provide your own DIY projects as examples of course as exhibited in other threads. Here, I try to accumulate as many images, graphics, diagrams, patents, and concepts as possible in one bundle so future experimenters can glean from it. Free free to chime on this topic without fear of going offtrack.... as little talk of airbearing, airpumps, computer servos, etc...if possible just to give this thread some focus since those threads are littered on the internet already. Other than that, welcome all!

I wanted to started off historically but my perspective on the topic is rather random so I will just post pictures randomly. Feel free to post pictures you find pertinent to the topic but please try NOT to download pictures and then upload to here. Simply use html or link the image in "[IMG][/IMG]" form so you won't violate any copyright.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Let's start with one of the grand daddies of mechanical linear tonearm, the Souther tonearm by Louis Souther. And his patent.

Click the image to open in full size.

. . . . . . to be continued . . . . . .

I saw you have a micro seiki RX1500, Is it a FVG? I made to this turntable deep changes. I want to share.
Best Regards
Old 8th March 2014, 07:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrayk View Post
Speaking of grand daddy lineage [no pun intended], I came across this 1910 patent for a passive linear tracking pickup for the horn on an acoustic phonograph.
Nice! It's truly a grand daddy! In fact it's older than my real grand daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dady View Post
I saw you have a micro seiki RX1500, Is it a FVG? I made to this turntable deep changes. I want to share.
Best Regards
It's not my turntable but pictures are taken from this website and you can contact site owner for more info. If you want to share your pictures and thoughts on the Micro Seiki, feel free to post here or start a thread. Enjoy!
Old 8th March 2014, 08:46 PM   #14
dady is offline dady  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
Thanks directdriver! I will.
Old 8th March 2014, 10:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Speaking of historical recording, here's a mechanical linear arm that's intended for cylinder recordings in this site.

See how simple it is? Sometimes I wish all vinyls were made in cylinder form!

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I love the Souther arm. I have 2, and have one on my SOTA table, with a WIN strain gauge cartridge. Amazing sound.

But there are a couple of design flaws in the Souther that I have tried to fix up in a DIY fashion. These are:
1. crappy cartridge leads and too many connectors
2. The arm sits on the spindle
3. Cheap plastic top cover
Old 10th March 2014, 12:51 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

For the cheap cartridge leads my solution is simple - I have assembled 2 runs of twisted pair cable, made from 0.125mm winding wire. At one end I have soldered cartridge clips onto the wire, at the other end is a pair of RCA plus. The cable is carefully dressed to avoid any drag on the cartridge, following a similar path to the old Souther layout. One piece of very thin single core cable, from the cartridge to the pre-amp - what could be better.

cartridge leads.jpg
Old 10th March 2014, 01:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I hate the thought of the arm sitting on the spindle - while friction is assumed to be low i am pretty sure that there must be some noise getting into the system. I think I first saw this idea on a Clear Audio arm, I have put on small block of wood on the plinth right next to the base of the souther. There is a T nut in top of this block and a bolt that screws in and out (with a flat head). The end of the arm carriage, closest to the pivot, rests on the top of the bolt when the carriage is lowered across the record. I have removed the spindle locater from the other end of the arm carriage. The bolt is screwed up or down to level the arm carriage.

leveller.jpg
Old 10th March 2014, 01:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

To replace the cheap plastic top plate, my mate who was using my spare Souther fabricated a new plate made from lead. The extar weight and stiffness of the lead, compared to palstic, has a significantly positive impact on the bass - it goes deeper and is tighter. The only problem with this approach would be unbalancing the suspension if you use a suspended deck, but as my SOTA is no longer suspended (that is a story for another day) it is no problem for me.

top plate.jpg
Old 11th March 2014, 01:01 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
1. crappy cartridge leads and too many connectors
2. The arm sits on the spindle
3. Cheap plastic top cover
Thanks for the photos and explaining your mods to the Souther. I totally agree with problem #2. I was bewildered by it the first time I saw a Souther that a tonearm would sit on a MOVING part! Glad that you're able to fix the problem. At least Clearaudio addressed the issue. But I'm curious why they never consider using a pivoting base like the one in the Versa Dynamic arm. A tiny magnet can be added to lock it when the arm is swung in play position and I believe it's a bit more user friendly than the raised bridge style assembly. I guess the bridge style arm looks more visually impressive to the buyer.

Hide this!Advertise here!