diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   RIAA stage based on LT1028... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/251875-riaa-stage-based-lt1028.html)

jiiteepee 25th February 2014 06:32 PM

RIAA stage based on LT1028...
 
I'm thinking to prepare another RIAA pre-amp for MM cart with option for flat operation with ~+30dB gain. This pre-amp is based on example found on LT1115 data sheet + Andy C's RIAA stage using LT1028. I made some changes and simulations with the combined phono -schematic to find suitable changes needed to get original schematic work for flat operation as well. Ended to these changes:

RIAA EQ
http://i59.tinypic.com/2h2k138.png

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zoetr7.png

RIAA stage itself is based on the one found from here - http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.o...o_preamp.xhtml (C/R values can be found from this site). I did change the C4 to 470uF for this stage I'm working with.

Flat pre-amp (By simulation, Gain = ~+30.0dB ((1Hz) 20Hz - 20kHz (>100kHz)) , Phase < +-0.5deg ((1Hz) 20Hz - 20kHz)):
R1 = 54.5kohm
Disable R4, R7, R8 and C1, C2


Am I going in the woods with these "thoughts"? Is the LT1028 good selection (least it's not the cheapest one).

scott wurcer 25th February 2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee (Post 3833761)
I'm thinking to prepare another RIAA pre-amp for MM cart with option for flat operation with ~+30dB gain. LTSpice IV has an educational schematic for phono preamp based on LT1028 (same schematic on page #18). I made some changes and simulations with the educational phono -schematic to find suitable changes needed to get original schematic work for flat operation as well. Ended to these changes:

Flat pre-amp (By simulation, Gain = ~+30.0dB ((1Hz) 20Hz - 20kHz (>100kHz)) , Phase < +-0.5deg ((1Hz) 20Hz - 20kHz)):
R1 = 1.02kohm
R2 = 33.2ohm
Disable R4/C1 + C2

Am I going in the woods with these "thoughts"? Is the LT1028 good selection (least it's not the cheapest because of one LT1028ACN8#PBF costs around 20 + 24% tax + s&h).

jiitteepee fancy meeting you here, PM me and I will send you some AD797's for your project.

abraxalito 26th February 2014 12:16 AM

My suggestion would be to augment the LT1028 with a unity gain buffer (LT1010 might be a suitable choice). For a couple of reasons - first to remove any thermal interactions between the output drive requirements and the input stage. Second to preserve dynamics - the load seen by the LT1028's OPS isn't particularly benign - 0.1uF and 10R in series. Having a separate buffer allows separate decoupling of the supplies and means the LT1028 can work with much cleaner rails.

<edit> On re-reading your post I see you're intending 'flat' operation, meaning no EQ at all? In which case the OPS is going to see a much easier load with those largish fb caps deleted. But then again the output when working 'flat' will be tilted up to HF so dynamics are still a major issue vis-a-vis the supply noise.

jiiteepee 27th February 2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott wurcer (Post 3834174)
jiitteepee fancy meeting you here, PM me and I will send you some AD797's for your project.

Hi Scott!
Thanks for the kind offering but, I'm sticking with this 1028 because of I already have handful of them to use, it's model is bundled with the LTSpice IV so I can make simulations before adding features (this project is more like an experiment / learning happening for me ... ) and it's not very commonly used op-amp in pre-amp design (least I have not seen many).

jiiteepee 27th February 2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxalito (Post 3834195)
My suggestion would be to augment the LT1028 with a unity gain buffer (LT1010 might be a suitable choice). For a couple of reasons - first to remove any thermal interactions between the output drive requirements and the input stage. Second to preserve dynamics - the load seen by the LT1028's OPS isn't particularly benign - 0.1uF and 10R in series. Having a separate buffer allows separate decoupling of the supplies and means the LT1028 can work with much cleaner rails.

<edit> On re-reading your post I see you're intending 'flat' operation, meaning no EQ at all? In which case the OPS is going to see a much easier load with those largish fb caps deleted. But then again the output when working 'flat' will be tilted up to HF so dynamics are still a major issue vis-a-vis the supply noise.

Thanks for the info. I added the schematics into my 1st post. Is the LT1010 placed OK there?

abraxalito 27th February 2014 06:28 AM

Its OK as regards the input, but you need to take the feedback from the LT1010's output, not from the LT1028. It should be fast enough to be included in the loop - but if not then hopefully LTspice will reveal any issues.

jiiteepee 27th February 2014 06:34 AM

About the power.
I was going to use 12V battery as power source. I need to use a dual output converter to get +-12V. Is the Meanwell DCW03-12 good enough as used on phono preamp project here?

jiiteepee 27th February 2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxalito (Post 3835768)
Its OK as regards the input, but you need to take the feedback from the LT1010's output, not from the LT1028. It should be fast enough to be included in the loop - but if not then hopefully LTspice will reveal any issues.

Do you mean I should just send copy of the LT1010 output back to its input or to LT1028 input through some resistor (10k?) or something more complex (by documentation, LT1010 is an unity gain buffer and has less pins to use compared to say LT1028).

abraxalito 27th February 2014 09:15 AM

I mean the output of the LT1028 goes only to the input of the LT1010 (and the bias resistor, if needed). All other components that were connected to the LT1028's output now go to the LT1010's output. See LT's AN4 for several examples of how its used.

jiiteepee 27th February 2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxalito (Post 3835875)
I mean the output of the LT1028 goes only to the input of the LT1010 (and the bias resistor, if needed). All other components that were connected to the LT1028's output now go to the LT1010's output. See LT's AN4 for several examples of how its used.

Thanks for the clearing!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2