Turntable system building -> Phono stage advice appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm working on (re)building my primary system. I started on either end and I'm working my way towards the middle, and have hit some snaggs.

Speakers will be "Popeye" (half-olivia) spawn family with fostex FE127E 4 inch full range drivers.

Turntable-> Harman/Kardon t-40 with unknown cartridge (for now. Seller said it was an older Ortofon, but I cannot find any markings to indicate) likely will invest in new cart soon.

So, as i said, I have the main input and the output end, but i need to populate the middle. I was looking to see if you good people had any advice for what works/doesn't work sounds good/bad. I don't have a lot of experience trying to build a system around a turn table. In the past its always been: turntable->vintage "mid-fi" amp -> multi-way speakers. I want to step it up a notch and get a little better than that.

I would like to keep it relatively cheap if possible, but doesn't everybody? I would love to build the rest of this system for less than $500 if I can.

My current thoughts were:

Amp -> Chip amp. Probably with LM3875. I built one for my big system with the LM3886, I like it. Gain clones are cheap and easy to build. The drivers are pretty efficient, so I don't need crazy amounts of power. And the room is pretty small, so it doesn't need to move a ton of air either. I was also considering a "t" class amp, but I can't find a good source for kits other than 41hz and I can't really tell if they are still shipping units or not. I would like to find a kit; I built my first one point to point from schematics, it was alright, but if I could buy everything in one package, It would be better.

Phono-Stage -> yet unknown. I can really only find a couple of kits (boozehound and Bugle2 mainly). I have found a few others that are from schematics, which i could do, but i was hoping to find a kit for simplicity. I have read good reviews for the boozehound lab, but its near the upper end of what I would like to pay.

Preamp -> If the phonostage will get the levels up high enough, I was thinking passive preamp (knob for volume and mayhaps a switch for one additional input). that would be the easy route. If not, I'll have to find a simple pre-amp to put in.

I appreciate any help you can give me. if this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I couldn't really think of a better place to put it, as It kind of covers topics all over the place. Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.