Infinity Black Widow Tonearm Lifter Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the info. Actually the Infinity mechanism does not come apart in the same manner. There is no visible top or bottom section. It obviously was assembled, so it can be dis-assembled, but it is not clear how to do this and I do not want to damage beyond repair!

have you removed the lift mechanism

if you remove the curved arm support and then loosen the retaing screw it should just drop down, hopefully revealing a set screw

Attachments

• widow.png
    widow.png
    200 KB · Views: 242
If only it was that simple! The Black Widow mechanism has no visible top or bottom, just a one piece cylinder. The bottom is a black plug but is recessed so prying out would make a mess of it. I have removed the set screw, the piston will rotate, but not pull out. Any other thoughts?
Thanks for all your help.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have a Black Widow, but my cue is still working fine.

However, on my Sansui SR525 the cue is built the same with no recognizable way to disassemble. It dropped like a stone. Here is what I did..... your mileage may vary.

-remove the set screw on the side. It very likely just mates with a slot in the side of the piston so that is doesn't rotate. It doesn't actually lock anything.

-re-attach the rest/bar at the top that the tonearm rests on.

-Squirt silicone into the hole where the set-screw was, make sure your aligned with the groove on the piston.

-use the "rest" to spin the piston in order to spread the silicone.

-you will have to work it in the up and down positions.

-you may also have to soak the whole unit in alcohol or lighter fluid to clean out the old silicone. If you do, make sure to let it dry thoroughly.

The first time I tried it there was air bubbles that would pop. It's important you realize that the silicone is not a reservoir in the bottom, it's just coating that binds the friction between the piston and cylinder. Hope that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.