My new effort on making the ultimate DP-80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is very nice!
I would prefer the feet a little bigger as they look overwhelmed by the size of the main body... and probably would "sink" the chassis into the wood up to the level of the beveled edge...but that is just my look of things!
I wish you happy and long listening hours!
There is nothing like the pride of making something on your own!
Congrats!

I have been off the grid for a while as i am trying to set up my own firm.
I have left off the outcome of the turntable build and the show presentation.
The second arm base was sent to Hong Kong and the Triplanar was mounted without problems.
According to the owner it made a huge difference on the solidity of bass and the presentation of a stable holographic scene in front of the listener with regards of what he has heard from this arm before.
The turntable was presented at the Hong Kong show last August in the company of $$$$$$ Karan Acoustics Reference phono/preamp/power amps (Karan Acoustics – Manufacturer of High-End Audio) and $$$$ ASI Tango Platinum speakers...6moons audio reviews: Acoustic System Int. Tango
The system made a very good impression to all listeners -i am sure the quality of the accompanying system played a major role to it!
Here are some pics from the show and also a honorable mention from the english Hifi News magazine in pdf form...
The price he has set for the turntable with one arm base is 20K...

Attachments

• Show pics 1-Optimized.jpg
    Show pics 1-Optimized.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Show pics 4-Optimized.jpg
    Show pics 4-Optimized.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Extract Pages From Hi-Fi.News.November.2015.pdf
    171 KB · Views: 58
That is very nice!
I would prefer the feet a little bigger as they look overwhelmed by the size of the main body... and probably would "sink" the chassis into the wood up to the level of the beveled edge...but that is just my look of things!
I wish you happy and long listening hours!
There is nothing like the pride of making something on your own!
Congrats!
thanks, I think with yours the size of the feet suit the main body and the bevelled edge looks better flush with the bevelled edge of the chassis. I cut the bevelled edge on my feet before cutting the feet to length and eyed them up to the cut outs in the main plinth before the top layer with no cut out was glued. So the flat top of the foot was flush with the top of the plinth, It didn't look right. Because my plinth has no bevel to match the turntable chassis bevel it looks better as is, in my opinion of course and the reason I made it that way. Your turntable at the show could have been displayed in a better way, its statement piece and deserves to be front and centre and on show. Thanks for your brilliant design idea, without which I don't know what I would have ended up with.

Look forward to it, let's hope the forum will allow you to document progress here.

I am racking my brains now thinking about the arm pod, restrictions on which materials I can get at sensible prices and can machine at home. I have a metal lathe so can carry out small jobs. I don't know how much you spent on your project and wouldn't expect you to reveal it but the cost of my effort is minimal. I have heard many comments about Denon turntables being bland in those fruit box style plinths and wanted to avoid that, on the other hand I couldn't justify the cost of George's plinth

Last edited:
My cost was around 6K euros including a 500 euros for the import of the DP-80 from Japan.
About 4K went into CAD/metals/machining. The rest was on electronics, paint job, transformers, wires, connectors, damping materials, screws etc etc...
The norm in high-end is X5 to have a nominal profit...
I'm cheap.

I don't know your relationship with the dealer in Hong Kong and what your profit margin will be but should you start your own company making from scratch then you need to aim high price wise. This crazy hifi obsession requires high prices for some that won't buy cheap. Take vox Olympian speakers for example, as good as they are, I doubt they are worth £400k, but would be dismissed by the rich if they were too cheap.

Point taken ... and known already to be exact.
That's why the dealer has set a price of 20000$.
The problem is that to the experienced eye it still looks derived from a "humble" DP-80...(which by the way "as is" is waaaay better than anything in the 3000$ region).
The buttons/fascia and platter construction give it away.
Not knowing of course all the work done under the hood it's easy to assume that it's just an added exoskeleton...and that is a restricting point for the demanding price.
On the next two models this will be deleted since as nothing from a DP-80 will be used...not even the motor.
Just the general layout idea and the experience these builds have given me.

Last edited:
just one more photo and then I will stop hijacking your thread. I made a sub plinth to locate the spikes on the plinth legs with spike shoes set flush in the sub plinth. Made a temporary arm pod from oak until I finish the arm pod. This bolts to the sub plinth so the pivot to spindle distance cannot be accidently moved. Detail retrieval is the best I have heard anywhere, bass is not too shabby either. As the platter is two piece and damped I don't see having a thick rubber mat as beneficial. My copper mat is working well.

I would keep the mat. It is a heavy item (500gr) and works well.
The suspension is designed with the mat in place...and i don't know the weight of your extra copper mat.
If you haven't done it, i would advise on replacing the foamy parts between the two platters. Pretty sure they are shot. Just unscrew the middle screw in every triad and it's off.
Just make sure that you keep the thing balanced as before when you re-attach them.
It took some trial and error in damping materials to find a good balance with my 2 Kilos extra metal mat...
And you are hijacking nothing...it's an "open source" discussion about one of the best DDs ever made!
Bass should be tip top! Maybe it's something in your rest of chain.
Don't tell me you went for the same green!

Last edited:
I was kind of joking about the bass being not too shabby, it's very very good in my office set up, it will be no doubt be better in my dedicated listening room. Oh the Nissan D14, yes but I painted the other two thirds not the control panel. A very good choice by you.

The turntable is so good my wife even commented on it. She usually takes very little interest.

tried the rubber mat this morning, adjusted vta and played the same 45's I use for listening tests here in the office. Its ok but not the clarity I remember with the copper mat, so swapped in the copper mat and reset vta, yes its definitely better with the copper mat. Bass is tighter and cleaner, separation of instruments is better. Not much in it and had I not heard the comparison I would be happy enough with the rubber mat.

If it suits your ears...it's fine.
Why with a 45? I always use a heavy 180-200 grams audiophile pressing to make my critical listening...
I can't even use a periphery ring on a 45.
For me i wouldn't dream of using a hard surface to lay the record on...
Too much risk of damaging the surface.
If I'm being mr. picky I will do that in my dedicated treated listening room. I am familiar with these 45's so can notice differences. 180gram vinyl is nothing special imo, some I have had to return as they were poorly pressed. If you use a periphery ring then any vinyl will be flat and have no chance of vibrating, I urge you to try a copper or gunmetal mat in place of the rubber mat just to satisfy yourself that your own choice is better if nothing else. Obviously a record puck is needed or the periphery ring will hold the record secure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.