Transcriptors Skeleton Tonearm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2014, 05:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transcriptors Skeleton Tonearm

I've been waiting for Michael Gammon to recondition the vestigial tonearm for my Transcriptors Skeleton. The wait has taken so long, and communication with Transcriptors has broken down to the point where I am now looking for alternative tonearms. Just to make my Skeleton listenable until, hopefully one day the reconditioned tonearm will arrive in the mail. Does anyone have any ideas if there are suitable alternatives to the vestigial? Grateful for any suggestions.
Old 26th January 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Transcriptor? Cool. How about a DIY linear tracking arm for it? There are a couple of good recent threads.
Old 26th January 2014, 07:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

iirc the vestigial arm was often mated with an ADC XLM II. A very high compliance cartridge. Perhaps the interrum choice of arms would be one which would also work well with the ADC XLM II. Perhaps an Infinity Black Widow?

If one is willing to move on to lower compliance cartridges, an arm that comes to mind that at least "visually" would seem to work on the Transcriptors might be a DV 505...?

Just tossing that into the pool.

-Steve
Old 26th January 2014, 11:12 PM   #4
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
I remember the Vestigial arm very well....[in fact Transcriptors moved their operation to Carlow in Ireland and I lived there at the time!]

A friend had one and later I met another guy who owned one. I lent him an ADC 26 to try, but at the very low tracking weights that cartridge used (around 0.75 gms!) coupled with the very short distance from stylus to vertical bearing of the arm made tracking of virtually every less than totally flat record very difficult and usually impossible. In short they were virtually useless as they were too light/low mass to use a heavy tracking cartridge.

They were, in my view, very shoddily made products and I would never wish to see another! But I was told that some of the late made products were much improved. I would be thankful if I were you should you never see it again unless I wanted it as a desk-toy in my office!

If you use low tracking weight cartridges get a Mayware unipivot , but even with that you will spend a lot of time keeping it in tune. Another good old arm provided it is in decent order is a Grace. There are a lot of them out there and the gimbal bearing ones would look good on your TT.
Old 27th January 2014, 09:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've had dealings with Michael from Transcriptors on and off over the last couple of years-in my opinion he's not the fastest in his response times-be prepared for a long wait!
Chris
Old 27th January 2014, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb121055 View Post
Transcriptor? Cool. How about a DIY linear tracking arm for it? There are a couple of good recent threads.
Old 27th January 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb121055 View Post
With regard to linear tracking arms it should be noted that these tend to produce high lateral loads onto the cartridge suspension. With that in mind a cartridge that would have worked nicely on the vestigial arm will work poorly, or not at all, on a diy linear tracker. A cartridge of suitable compliance must be matched to whichever arm is used.

-Steve
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default by a wired coincidence

Michael is back in touch and sending me my tonearm. So right now I won't have to look for alternatives. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Hide this!Advertise here!