Stereo to Mono Adapter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2014, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Hello dues how are ya??

I have a pioneer cassette deck (double cassette) that plugs into my sony tuner..

I only have 1 speaker in use so it would not sound good IN STEREO! (I really prefer mono anyway)

Is there any such thing as an adapter that would accept both cables from the pioneer (for left and right channel) and convert it to a perfect merged mono signal i can listen to in my Sony tuner??

Thanx
Old 16th January 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You can mix them resistively or better still, use a virtual earth (inverting) opamp mixer stage. Any off the shelf adapter lead will just be a passive resistive mixer, the active opamp approach is much better.
Old 16th January 2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Actually an off the shelf splitter lead will just short left and right together. Unless you have actually seen a lead marketed as a stereo to mono mixer?

If you put a 22k resistor on the output of each left and right, then join them together at the opposite end then feed that into your amp it should be ok.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys....

I always have wondered why they dont put a MONO switch on these things for whatever is coming out..... THEY HAVE THEM FOR FM RADIO but not any other input and I think its quite stupid!
Old 18th January 2014, 06:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually stereo/mono switching options used to be quite common on amplifiers back in the 1970s but subsequently went out of fashion. Mono records and 78s just weren't too popular any more, and people with home stereos generally splurged on a whopping two speakers.

Stereo/mono switching for FM is nearly always included because (a) it costs nearly nothing to implement (usually you just have to pull down a pin on the stereo decoder IC) and (b) it's a simple way of making otherwise problematic reception a lot more bearable (the noise penalty for FM stereo is about 20 dB).

Depending on music, decent mono reproduction may be perfectly fine for casual listening, in fact I commonly use a nice-sounding mid-1970s portable radio. (And decent mono still is better than crappy stereo.) However, I'm a headphone guy and stuff like classical with big orchestra usually is deadly boring to me when recorded in mono. There's just so much missing.

BTW, your Sony "tuner" would actually seem to be a receiver (tuner + integrated amplifier). If it's as oldschool as I think it is, you could probably use the tape loop (tape monitor function) for your stereo-mono combining circuit, which would then be effective for any source.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Depending on music, decent mono reproduction may be perfectly fine for casual listening, in fact I commonly use a nice-sounding mid-1970s portable radio
Very nice seeing this!

Someone else who realises how much better it sounds!!

I listen in Mono whenever possible...... I have always loved it

Yes Its a tuner with AM/FM with options for other audio inputs (Tape,CD,etc)

I have found some MONO cassette decks I could hook up but if I dont have to get one,i would prefer not!! (A true 'Y adapter' merges both channels into 1 I believe if i could find one! (2 males into 1 male))

Last edited by Dude111; 18th January 2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What Mooly said. Whenever I try a new circuit I usually build a spaghetti wired single channel and listen to it for at least a month before committing to the second channel. I enjoy listening to mono a lot too. I usually build some form of this.
Old 19th January 2014, 08:23 AM   #8
alexf is offline alexf  United States
diyAudio Member

If you combine 2 channels into one from a tape deck you WILL lose a lot of quality, higher frequencies in particular. The tape heads are never exactly perpendicular to the tape which leads to phase shift. The higher the frequency, the more the shift.
Old 19th January 2014, 09:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf View Post
If you combine 2 channels into one from a tape deck you WILL lose a lot of quality, higher frequencies in particular. The tape heads are never exactly perpendicular to the tape which leads to phase shift. The higher the frequency, the more the shift.
Good point. OTOH, this very same effect can be used to tweak azimuth adjustment with a known-good tape. (I bet you could also run the tape into the PC's line in and look at the alignment of drum hits and such on left and right channel.)

The good ol' compact cassette is something that generally I'd only bother with if material is not to be obtained any other way. Otherwise if I wanted to play with good analog recording on the cheap, I'd look for a well-kept hi-fi VCR, maybe one of the better Panasonic or JVC S-VHS models. Dad splurged on a NV-HS1000EG back in the day, still works fine but tended to act up after a while last time we used it (bad solder joint on some voltage reg?). That said, VHS hi-fi has other quirks as well, like varying levels of head switching noise, and models without manual level controls are bound to have some form of ALC (compressor).
Old 19th January 2014, 11:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just use a couple of 100r resistors to mix the signal.

On my MP3 player I just connect the 2 channels together with no resistors and it has worked ok for about 5 years.

Hide this!Advertise here!