Technics SP-10 Mk.II braking system overhaul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

Hope somebody might be able to help with the following.

After quite a long search, I've managed to find a complete braking system for an SP-10 Mk.II on Ebay, with the added bonus of a (supposedly) working strobe light too. £70 so rather an extreme price, but it's all advertised as working, and I guess these spares are pretty rare now. It'll be nice to finally have a 'complete' deck at last, as my SP-10 had the braking system removed by its last owner.

Unfortunately the braking solenoid needs some work by the looks of it. It needs cleaning, a re-lube, and the rubber end-stop washer (part 14-4 in the service manual) isn't there.

I assume I can use a bog standard rubber washer of appropriate size there. Does anybody know the thickness of this item though, and the circumference? Also I haven't a clue what kind of grease I should use to re-lube the solenoid - any advice here would be much appreciated indeed.

Cheers,

- John

Last edited:
DSC_6262.jpg

I looked through my disassembly photos to see if I could pinpoint the washer you're looking for but unfortunately came up empty. The above photos is as close as I can get to the brake solenoid. For whatever that might be worth.

-Steve

Thanks for that Steve - much appreciated :)

Managed to find a slightly clearer photo of the whole unit, and looking/measuring the solenoid shaft the inner diameter is approx. 10mm, the outer 15mm. I shouldn't think it's too critical. Have ordered a few rubber washers and hopefully one of them will fit.

That'll be it then for my deck, though I am keeping a very interested eye on your current thrust pad adventures ;)

- John

Attachments

• DSCN0057.jpg
    DSCN0057.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 445
Thanks for that Steve - much appreciated :)

Managed to find a slightly clearer photo of the whole unit

- John

I'm a bit late to this thread, came to it while doing a google search for pics as I am doing a bit of an overhaul today. John, i noticed in your photo there is a circlip missing where the brake strap connects to the solenoid. There is also one on the other side. Not sure whether you had not yet replaced it, or didn't know that there are circlips.

Regards,
Phil

Last edited:
Hi folks,

the braking solenoid needs some work by the looks of it. It needs cleaning, a re-lube, and the rubber end-stop washer (part 14-4 in the service manual) isn't there.

I haven't a clue what kind of grease I should use to re-lube the solenoid - any advice here would be much appreciated indeed.

Cheers,

- John

Hi John,

I'm hoping you sorted all that effectively ... so now you can pass on your hard earned knowledge:)

My rubber end stop needs replacing - did you find good ones the right size?

Any info you could give on cleaning and lubing the solenoid would be much appreciated. And any nuggets on how to adjust the brake belt too.

(I'm digging around under the hood because my solenoid is loud when its engaging/disengaging ... I don't remember my previous Sp-10's solenoid making any noise at all)

thanks for you time, regards

Steve

Last edited:
I removed the band brake mechanism from my SP10MK2 because when in brake disengage mode, there is rubbing between the cotton felt and the platter. I can hear this rubbing using a stick to the TT chassis.

When I adjust to de-tension the band brake so that it won't rub, but end up with no braking effect when the STOP button is press.

Now my SP10MK2 is so quiet when spinning, you may want to consider this option. Rather than spending so much effort to get your brake mechanism working and ends up have this rubbing issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.