The future of analogue sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is about digital audio .... not digital parts in a wireless mic. An analog wireless mic might use digital circuits to synthesize the operating frequency. That does not make it a digital device. In radio and TV, analog microphones prevail.

And to transmit signal. That makes them digital devices. They have digital processing inside the main circuitry.

Tape players, for example, are analogue devices

A device is only digital if the essence of its operation is digital. An RF circuit which just happens to use a digital oscillator is not a digital device, as the oscillator could be replaced with a crystal or VFO oscillator and the device would still function OK.

To say otherwise is just silly. You could turn your argument around and say that anything which includes analogue circuitry is analogue, however peripheral it is to the main function of the device. Hence on this basis a CD player is an analogue source, as it includes analogue circuitry (buffer and filter) after the DAC.

Tape players, for example, are analogue devices
What about a tape player which includes a digital tape counter?

Last edited:
I think it might be good if an analog Blu-Ray based format were introduced. FM encoding could be used for the actual signal modulation - a reference frequency signal could also be encoded to maximize stability of the recorded signal - it wouldn't surprise me if performance comparable to digital wrt all the major parameters was possible using this format, but without digital level conversion, resolution and sampling artifacts.

Last edited:
As a storage medium, digital shines brightly.
For real-time transmission, analog wins.
As an example, an analog wireless microphone system will gradually get noisier until the signal fades completely. With digital .... the audio just goes away when the signal fades.
I would rather listen to a noisy analog signal than to have the 'perfect' digital signal just stop without warning. It's the same with analog vs. digital microwave video. As noisy as it may be .... in less than perfect conditions, I'll choose the noisy analog signal. The only other option is digital nothingness!

.. Compare an LP side with a CD. They both do essentially the same job yet the CD is smaller, has longer playing time and larger dynamic range.

But the CD can be rendered unplayable in decades or less if scratched beyond the ability of the laser to read it.

An LP can remain essentially listenable for much, much longer. It cannot become "corrupt" unless you break it into pieces. Even if a record is scratched it remains playable. It's reduced in quality.

It's a preference: would you rather have a medium that lasts but on whcih the quality degrades, or have a medium that doesn't last (anything digital, and don't lecture me on this, I have records that have lasted 100 times longer than CDs I burned last year) but the quality stays the same from day 1 to day x?

gain wire said:
But the CD can be rendered unplayable in decades or less if scratched beyond the ability of the laser to read it.
If you damage any storage medium beyond the ability of the playback mechanism then you won't recover the signal. That seems obvious! CDs need to be carefully handled, although not as carefully as an LP.

Put a single radial scratch on an LP and you will get a click on every revolution. Put a single radial scratch on a CD and you will never hear it, as the error correction is designed to cope with exactly that situation.

Burned CDs and pressed CDs are two quite different media which happen to share a playback mechanism. I don't trust burned CDs, so I would never use them for music.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not aware of any research for analogue recording and why should there be?

Today's storage media have two major advantages: they're digital, so they can be processed and manipulated in every way at extreme speeds and they're optical or electronical, so by definition practically completely free from mechanical parts and their drawbacks.

While I'm a big vinyl lover, I can't imagine any progress or any motivation for it.

The laser disc turntable exists since the 80ies by the way.

h_a said:
I'm not aware of any research for analogue recording and why should there be?
I can't imagine what you mean by that, unless you are simply telling us that you have never bothered to investigate all the research which took place into analogue recording technology over many decades.

Today's storage media have two major advantages: they're digital, so they can be processed and manipulated in every way at extreme speeds and they're optical or electronical, so by definition practically completely free from mechanical parts and their drawbacks.
I assume you don't count CD or DVD or BluRay as members of 'todays storage media'? Or hard disc storage? So its Flash memory only? Known to be short-lived and unsuitable for archive purposes.

Hi DF96,

don't worry, I'll help you a bit with my post ;)

I can't imagine what you mean by that, unless you are simply telling us that you have never bothered to investigate all the research which took place into analogue recording technology over many decades.

Please add a 'current' into my sentence so it becomes:

I'm not aware of any CURRENT research for analogue recording and why should there be?

Your second response: please reread my above post, you are actually confirming my statement:

Today's storage media have two major advantages: ....they're optical or electronical,

I guess I can persuade you to accept optical as description for CD, DVD, bluray? For electronical storage there is in addition to flash also still magnetic tape....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.