Gluing styli to MM carts -- ??? for Dice45 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2002, 08:07 AM   #11
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Brett,

the Denon DL103 is no yawn for any tonearm. It inserts so much mechanical stress into the arm that tinest dynamic instabilities are laid bare.

$$$ carts:
I was always fond of Koetsus, however the Urushi is the only one i would spent serious money on (i already did once).
The other Koetsus are extraordinarily pleasant, but not dynamic enough, to my taste and that's what MC carts are for.

Decca:
the Jubilee would be the only Decca tolerated in my system as it is VERY dynamic and has the fancy detail resolution of all Deccas but it is not shaken all over by housing resonances which I dislike sonically.
I once heard a fantastic Decca Garrott but it was not as good as the Decca Jubilee. Housing resonances. A dream would be a Jubilee Garrott re-furbished. I guess R.L.Andreoli could provide this service if he has been bribed enuff.

Clearaudio:
no word from me without the presence of my lawyer.

Ortofon Rohmann:
can be obtained cheap compared to other top-notch MCs. Although its construction is completely different to the Koetsu Urushi, I call it the poor man's Urushi. A bargain, a magic one. Just music.

vdHul:
only if you get a good sample. Happens 1-2 out 5 times and then you have to claim warranty replacement. Exhausting.
Old 29th April 2002, 12:37 PM   #12
Banned

Of all the brands you mentioned, the Koetsu's are the most likely to be defective. At least what they sell here are.

Jocko
Old 29th April 2002, 07:14 PM   #13
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Jocko,

sad to admit, but what you say i do not read the 1st time. However, i did not hear this about the more expensive Koetsus and not from outside the US.
I had several buddies who were happy with their Blacks or Black Goldline for years. Shelf life also was extraordinarily high.

But there must have been a real low-tone dealer or re-seller in the US who sold defective warranty claims as new stock. And 9 out of 10 Koetsus are from the "Black" line which are made for but not by Koetsu. If the OEM manufacturer die not take his task that serious, i can imagine both facts together are devastating for the reputation.

memyselfandi have only experience with the more expensive Koetsus and i never considered any of those i mounted any near to be flawed. But i expect it that way, if a manufacturer claims to stick to such high ethics, he better sticks with it. And TME they do.

Messieurs van den Hul and Suchy have a long way to reach that level of consistent quality. Hul atleast gerenously refunds in case and as often as needed. And he is able to create extraordinary phono cartridges.
With Suchy (the man behind clearaudio), there is no sort of ethics observable. But funnily this seems to be counteracted for the US by the high-tone guy who is distributor for clearaudio in the US. Quite inverse to the Koetsu situation in the US.
Old 29th April 2002, 10:48 PM   #14
Banned

Default Strange indeed

The Clearaudios we saw were fine, as were the v.d.Hs. I think the import agent/rep is the real culprit in each of these cases.

Jocko
Old 29th April 2002, 11:02 PM   #15
Banned

Default Jocko

How bout glueing pizza to the roof of your mouth tonight?

Hide this!Advertise here!