DIY Vinyl Cutter, guidance needed :+) - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2007, 07:19 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Default Hi RancidAltoid

Send me your exact Email.
Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 7th June 2007, 08:40 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Can anyone tell me when the first vinyl disc was cut - as opposed to acetate or nitrocellulose?

I don't mean direct cutting, but from an analogue tape.

Also the make of lathe. Was the first vinyl cut done with a standard cutting head of the time or was a purpose-built head produced/customised.

I've waded through the net, but found nothing. Lots of info about how vinyl records are made, which I knew, but I can't find out who made the first vinyl cut and when.

Thanks
Old 10th June 2007, 12:30 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Do you mean the first lacquer master which was then used in the plating process to make a mother, which can then be used to make a stamper?

Sounds like you know that vinyl records are virtually always pressed, except for a small minority of one-off discs. (modern one-off discs are sometimes made from a kind of polycarbonate, I'm sure there are a few different materials in use, its been a while since I have been up to speed on this)

I don't know if anyone has ever made a high quality lathe-cut vinyl disc, as it is an extremely hard material to modulate (cut) audio into, though many would have tried, probably not long after vinyl was invented at a guess. Then again they managed to make Direct Metal Masters so I guess someone may have done it.

Dunno if this helps?
Old 13th June 2007, 05:50 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Thanks loonatron

Does that mean that Vestax's VRX-2000 vinyl cutter doesn't actually use blank vinyl discs?

If not then my mistake, but if direct vinyl cutting is done, I was just looking for a bit of history, like which was the first lathe successfully used.
Old 13th June 2007, 08:41 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!

Yes, actually use blank vinyl discs!

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 19th June 2007, 10:30 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Thanks zeonrider. Do you know when the first vinyl disc was cut and what lathe was used?
Old 5th November 2007, 07:35 PM   #87
KAOP is offline KAOP  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,

I'm actually trying to gather information on how to build a vinyl cutter or vinyl lathe myself. I met a guy in a festival who got one selfmade by an old engineer from switzerland and I was amazed

Could loonatron tell what kind of book he found about this subject ?

From what I understand now it's a kind of reverse tweeter with a very sharp and heated needle but is possible to build one ?

Thanks a lot for any help on this matter.
Old 23rd November 2007, 03:38 PM   #88
dj_nme is offline dj_nme  Australia
diyAudio Member

Has any-one tried tungsten TIG electrodes to make cutter needles from?
They come in sizes ranging from 1mm to 3.2mm diameter and are very, very hard.
Sharpened tungstens can scratch into most other metals very easily.
I have a reliable source of short pieces (2 to 3cm in length) which could be used if thought to be suitable.
Old 23rd November 2007, 03:47 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!d_nme

Nice source for cutter, but what did you think about sharpening this part of needle?

Sharpened tungstens can scratch into most other metals very easily.

AS you sad.

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:30 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KAOP
Hi everyone,

I'm actually trying to gather information on how to build a vinyl cutter or vinyl lathe myself. I met a guy in a festival who got one selfmade by an old engineer from switzerland and I was amazed

Could loonatron tell what kind of book he found about this subject ?

From what I understand now it's a kind of reverse tweeter with a very sharp and heated needle but is possible to build one ?

Thanks a lot for any help on this matter.
It doesn't cut vinyl, but lacquer blanks.

These are then electroplated, to make a metal "negative". In the production process, there are two more electroplating steps which eventually give you a stamper, and this is used to press semi-molten vinyl to make a record.

The lacquer can be played, but is fragile and wears quickly, and normally kept solely for making the metal parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!