Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 06:54 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

That's cool, willybig! Sounds professional!

Mine is made 100% by hand, so far! (except for a few commercially made bolted on bits, like slideways, and feed screw!)

I've been building in my spare time for many months now! Hopefully I can do my first proper cut within the next couple of weeks! (mono, non feedback)

It looks like it will be a constantly developing project over the next year or so!

It would be interesting to see how you go!

... Steve, aka loonatron
Old 1st December 2004, 06:44 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

if you want to find a good tube amp to fix up for feedback search this amp diy KT88 williamson the schematic shows that it could be set up so a feedback coil could send the feed back into the amp.
Old 1st May 2005, 11:19 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Here's a pic from several months ago... I did some test cuts... sounded bad! (But it was interesting!) But now I have some proper dubplates, and styli... Now I have to buy or build a proper cutterhead, and find a proper amp from somewhere... as well as build a better turntable. (experiments were with technics SL1210... TT in photo is a mockup!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc1.jpg (72.8 KB, 624 views)
Old 8th June 2005, 03:47 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Loonatron, this project definately got my interest... have you worked on it since your last post? If so, what is the progress?

-aaron
Old 23rd July 2005, 09:17 AM   #65
natsirt is offline natsirt  Australia
diyAudio Member

For those wondering what happened to the record cutting machines in Australia, the last were sold by Philips in the mid-90s and bought by a Victorian company, Corduroy. They are the only people, I believe, still making vinyl commercially. They are Corduroy Records in Highett, Vic.
Old 24th July 2005, 10:20 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for taking a look! Nah, I haven't done any more work. I got a new job a few months ago, and now I spend 3 hours a day travelling to and from work. I also started studying electronics two nights a week... so I don't know when I'll get to play with this project again... maybe when I get some annual leave or something...

Hey Natsirt,

that's really interesting!

all the best, from Steve
Old 21st December 2005, 03:59 PM   #67
kaicutz is offline kaicutz  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi to all
it wanted to know that dimensions and weight I specify requriment the cutting head, provided that I have more or less understood that the stylus to support a specific weight for his perfect cut.
Old 15th February 2006, 07:38 AM   #68
jethdub is offline jethdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey loonatron, I owned a vinyl cutter, used at the time for cutting dubplates (acetates) for playing on my own sound system, and as a service for local DJ's. The unit was called a kingston, made by vinylium, based in Switzerland. Ours was the first in the UK, an early model which has probably been refined since...cost us about 4ooo english pounds, the price has probably gone up now though. The guys at Vinylium used to supply heads(The designer of the kingston, Flo, is the european Neumann engineer and the head is the same as on a neumman lathe), if you still fancy Diying such a machine, you'll need a very stable platter to keep that disk spinning at a constant speed. You'll eat diamond cutting styli at 80pounds a piece too...If you're still into the idea look them up...
And to whoever suggested it, i don't think a second hand Neumann would be cheaper...they fetch 25-50grand!
Old 17th February 2006, 10:08 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Hi jethdub,

I didn't know that you could get diamond cutting styli for the kingston. I thought you could only use sapphire cutting styli, on normal dubplates. (like the ones from Transco or Appollo, that only last so many plays)

Unfortunately, I've had to put this project aside, I'm studying and working too much! (but learning about power amplifiers, which could come in handy later!)

Kaicutz,

I don't remember the answer to these details, it was nearly 18months since I looked into this stuff... but my dodgy cutterhead had an adjustable counterweight to adjust the tension on the spring that the cutterhead is suspended from. When making cuts, the literature I have seen refers to depth of cut, rather than weight or pressure on the cutting stylus.

All the best, from Steve

P.S. does anyone know where the ex 2GB (Sydney) cutting system ended up? It was up for sale recently
Old 25th February 2006, 03:14 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Default hmv record cutter

yes i saw this record cutter on ebay the other day, i wonder if it could be re designed using original equipment to cut all types of records, apparently it has a box of blank discs, plastic on aluminium and still works, it is priced at AU1500 I have some interest in buying this item, can anyone tell me if I could doctor it to do what i want it to do? i also found this website with all the specs on the unit. www.coutant.org/hmv2300/

Hide this!Advertise here!