DIY Vinyl Cutter, guidance needed :+)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me when the first vinyl disc was cut - as opposed to acetate or nitrocellulose?

I don't mean direct cutting, but from an analogue tape.

Also the make of lathe. Was the first vinyl cut done with a standard cutting head of the time or was a purpose-built head produced/customised.

I've waded through the net, but found nothing. Lots of info about how vinyl records are made, which I knew, but I can't find out who made the first vinyl cut and when.

Thanks

Do you mean the first lacquer master which was then used in the plating process to make a mother, which can then be used to make a stamper?

Sounds like you know that vinyl records are virtually always pressed, except for a small minority of one-off discs. (modern one-off discs are sometimes made from a kind of polycarbonate, I'm sure there are a few different materials in use, its been a while since I have been up to speed on this)

I don't know if anyone has ever made a high quality lathe-cut vinyl disc, as it is an extremely hard material to modulate (cut) audio into, though many would have tried, probably not long after vinyl was invented at a guess. Then again they managed to make Direct Metal Masters so I guess someone may have done it.

Dunno if this helps?

Hi everyone,

I'm actually trying to gather information on how to build a vinyl cutter or vinyl lathe myself. I met a guy in a festival who got one selfmade by an old engineer from switzerland and I was amazed :bigeyes:

Could loonatron tell what kind of book he found about this subject ?

From what I understand now it's a kind of reverse tweeter with a very sharp and heated needle but is possible to build one ?

Thanks a lot for any help on this matter.

Has any-one tried tungsten TIG electrodes to make cutter needles from?
They come in sizes ranging from 1mm to 3.2mm diameter and are very, very hard.
Sharpened tungstens can scratch into most other metals very easily.
I have a reliable source of short pieces (2 to 3cm in length) which could be used if thought to be suitable.

KAOP said:
Hi everyone,

I'm actually trying to gather information on how to build a vinyl cutter or vinyl lathe myself. I met a guy in a festival who got one selfmade by an old engineer from switzerland and I was amazed :bigeyes:

Could loonatron tell what kind of book he found about this subject ?

From what I understand now it's a kind of reverse tweeter with a very sharp and heated needle but is possible to build one ?

Thanks a lot for any help on this matter.

It doesn't cut vinyl, but lacquer blanks.

These are then electroplated, to make a metal "negative". In the production process, there are two more electroplating steps which eventually give you a stamper, and this is used to press semi-molten vinyl to make a record.

The lacquer can be played, but is fragile and wears quickly, and normally kept solely for making the metal parts.

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking for a vinyl cutter get some styling jobs done.

In the past few weeks I've been searching the net for the best solution and no luck
so far. I've read way too much hype and not enough good info. I've looked at the UsCutter MH series. It seems to be cheap. I don't believe I could build it for cheaper.

I've found this blog. The MH Series Review looked quite decent.
The only issue I've found was that it seemed too honest. The 90 day warranty bothers me will it fall apart after 3 months?

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.