connecting a turntable to a fancy TV - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default connecting a turntable to a fancy TV

Hi All, registered so I could ask a question. My sister wants to get her partners turntable running as a surprise for christmas, and wants to run it through a tv. the player is a jvc quartz lock turntable ql-a2, just RCA out the back, the tv is Specs - LED TV UN46C5000QF | Samsung TVs.

She went to bay-bloor radio and bought a Phono Solutions PS1 RIAA phono preamplifier, put tab a in slot b and nothing happens. I'm not there so I can't fiddle with the tv settings. anyone have any experience or brilliant things to say?
Old 12th December 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Maybe try a RCA (Left, right, female) to stereo mini jack cable and try it from the phono stage to the PC sound input. The relevant input may need to be selected through the menus.
Old 12th December 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe the TV mutes when there is no video present. Get a portable DVD player to provide the video signal and the preamp the audio. E
Old 12th December 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

looking at page 9 of the manual, it looks like Stuey's got the answer.

Yes drilling down through the menu levels on some of the current smart TVs to set up multiple input sources can be fun - wait til you get a surround receiver, BD player, Apple TV and HD cable TV box involved ( I count a total of 5 remotes, not including the gas fireplace )
Old 12th December 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I hate smart TVs
I do not want all that BS on a TV...... I have other devices for that .
Old 12th December 2013, 06:25 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Joe- it's just getting harder to choose "less"

but wait, there's more - who wants to volunteer to surf the bleeding edge of the latest technology, like Sony's new 4K etc at over $20K for a big screen home TV - which in less than 5 yrs will probably be replaced by ... direct cranial implants or...?

hello, holodeck

Hide this!Advertise here!