Tweaks for an older turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've come across an old Rotel RP-310. It runs pretty damn well I have to say. I recall ages ago seeing some threads on breathing new life in to old TT's. It was tied up IIRC with bracing and a whole bunch of other stuff. I vaguely recall sandpaper?

A comb through the archives and some searching isn't yielding a lot for me so what are some hacks/tweaks I can do to improve the overall sound/performance of the TT?

Beyond hacks, what's the first more major thing I should look at? e.g. motor replacement or tone arm?

First search on vinyl engine for the user and service manuals.
I don't know this deck, but in short that's the general route:

- read the manuals twice
- clean platter bearing for wear and relube
- check belt, clean or replace
- check arm for bearing play, align if neccessary/possible
- check cartridge/stylus, replace if neccessary
- clean styles and contacts
- check cartridge alignment, do alignment if neccessary
- check and set tracking weight and antiskating

Don't worry about tweaks before you've done the essentials.

I'm having a vintage TT delivered myself today.

I plan on servicing it and going through all adjustments etc basically as already mentioned. ( A new cartridge will eventually be installed.)
This is in addition to any cosmetic touch ups needed.

I will just add to check the platter mat and replace it necessary .

On thing that I found useful is the TT service manual if available as it has more info than the "owners manual" that just basically explains operation.
It might have an "exploded" drawing that could tell you how to access the platter bearing.

BTW it has been said that a platter on a good, belt driven TT (with the belt removed) should continue to spin for almost a minutes when manually spun. If it still does that now, you are good.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.