Dual 1019 and 1229 what do you think? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2014, 12:58 PM   #21
jmsent is offline jmsent  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I got a 1229 cheap in the late 90s and it worked fine for the few years I used it, but I've always assumed the LF rumble was just the normal rim drive thing, even with the heavy platter. I did clean up the rim inside, idler and motor shaft, but with little or any improvement. Maybe not totally rebuilding it had something to do with it.

I have had a problem with one or two headshells, with them falling apart - there's an extra small piece of plastic that's glued on and holds the wire ends/springs in place that connect to the arm, and that has fallen off.
Of course, we're discussing a turntable that was nearly 30 years old when you got it. The problem is that the idler wheel rubber material was the same age. You can clean it up and improve the traction, but time has taken its toll, making all the rubber stiffer and drier, and therefore transferring more vibration from the motor. Same holds true for the motor mounts. I would expect a lot of failure in glue joints as well. When they were new, these Duals were pretty quiet by any standard. Not belt drive quiet, but you only heard something when you had it cranked really loud and the stylus was on silent grooves.
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:27 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

You can't go wrong with either one!

A/B testing, side by side, I preferred the 1019. Both tables had the same model cartridge stylii combo. 1019 was lightly better at 3 d imaging. That short fat tonearm sounds amazing to my ears!

A few things though. If you can live without the built in strobe, the 1219 has an all metal headshell while the 1229 is connected to the toneaarm with plastic. I prefer the metal of the 1219 and the bling of the chrome trim ring on the 1219's platter! Also, the original 1019 cartridge mounts (sled) are more trouble some than the 12XX series mounts. I do see a seller on ebay making new 1019 mounts with spring contacts, so that should make the 2 mounts equal in that respect.

Please don't listen to the Naysayers about idler wheel rumble! They probably never had the pleasure of hearing an idler drive table!! If the motor mounts and idler wheel are supple, round, and working as new, rumble is a non issue.

All the best,
Dominic
Old 1st September 2014, 12:41 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I agree with stratus46. You need to disassemble, clean and lubricate these turntables. They are very finicky. Some people like them, some hate them. I have serviced many Dual turntables and still own quite a few in my private collection.

Hide this!Advertise here!