Dual 1019 and 1229 what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the 1019. It rocks (no pun intended).

It's a good solid performer with idler drive and a 7 pound platter to boot. If you find one at a good price, grab it. You won't be sorry.

I did end up removing the stacker spindle and replacing it with a single play spindle though. I have no desire (EVER) to stack records on a changer.

Both turntables were fabricated in vast quantities and sold to OEMs who equipped consoles with them, the cheaper ones with the 1019, the more expensive ones with the 1229. I own a Grundig console with the latter one - a good deal, but far from high end.

Best regards!

Pretty sure the 1229 is just newer than the 1019
Owned a 1229 long ago. A fine reliable performer. At this point it will need a 'disassemble clean and lube'. I used to do that at 'The Audio Clinic' in Madison Wi also long ago. It isn't very difficult and a WHOLE lot easier than some others.

DO NOT RUN IT until you KNOW it's properly lubricated.

Take LOTS of pics before you take it apart as it will help when re-assembling it. The motor needs to be 'pried' apart after removing the screws. A pair of flat blade screwdrivers and a wood block to hold them apart works well. I would recommend Nye Oil II for the motor. The original oil was Isoflex PDP 40. The original grease was Shell Alvania #2. Nye 368AX-1 is a superior (but not cheap) replacement. I don't know where to get Wacker Siliconoil for use in the cue cylinder. Renotac was the adhesive oil used in the main bearing but I have no sub for it.

Both turntables were fabricated in vast quantities and sold to OEMs who equipped consoles with them, the cheaper ones with the 1019, the more expensive ones with the 1229. I own a Grundig console with the latter one - a good deal, but far from high end.

Best regards!

if they made so many Kay how come you see just as many thorens and garrards lencos as you do duals that are supposed to be far superior to duals.

Best regards!
Dual did both OEM sales to console makers and addressed the component market. But by the time the 1229 came out, they were firmly in the latter camp.
Dual sold some turntables to Grundig, but they were only used on the high end models. Mostly, Grundig used PE, BSR, and Telefunken changers, and then switched over to Philips. I know of no Grundig console that was supplied with the 1229, as Grundig had switched over to the Philips changers by the time the 1229 had come out (early 1970's). The chassis of the 1229 was also large and usually too big to fit inside the space of the Grundig cabinet. Can you tell me what model Grundig you have? BTW, SABA used Dual in their consoles for many years, and you can find a 1019 in some of the upper end '60s consoles.

if they made so many Kay how come you see just as many thorens and garrards lencos as you do duals that are supposed to be far superior to duals.

Duals were very popular, and were sold in far greater quantities than Lencos or Thorens, which were manual tables and much more expensive. Garrard was mostly junk by the time Dual introduced the 1219. As to why YOU see as many of the other turntables as Duals is anyone's guess. We're 40 years down the road and lots has happened in the world. But the fact is, that Duals were very popular in their day, and tons were sold.

Due to idler wheel not rumble free.
The automatic function will fail in time. Shell tends to make bad contact due to stupid construction. Very irritating.

You never owned one did you? Rumble was as good as belt drive and better than most due to the heavy platter. Automatic function 'fails' because of dried out lubricants. Never had contact issues and I worked at several warranty repair stations. You're projecting your assumptions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Studio 2000 looks to be a combined turntable/receiver system with separate speakers.

That's correct.

The turntable appears to be 1215...

No. But perhaps someone might have installed the 1229 after the purchase.

I don't know the history of my Studio 2000, 'cause I pulled it out from a junkyard bin in our town last summer. It turned out to work fine (just to say as I had expected), besides the turntable's defunct automatic and the degenerated foams of the bass speakers (yes, the speakers were also inside the bin!), and it was complete. Even the acrylic cover was fine, besides some minor scratches.

Though I generally prefer hollow state equipment, I have to admit that I love this device.

Best regards!

You never owned one did you? Rumble was as good as belt drive and better than most due to the heavy platter. Automatic function 'fails' because of dried out lubricants. Never had contact issues and I worked at several warranty repair stations. You're projecting your assumptions.

My dad had a 1219 and I owned a 1218 and later a 701 direct Drive. The latter had same problems with shell, automatics, and lift.
I also worked as repair tech. :p The universal head contact shell like Sony/SME with gold contacts is superior.

My dad had a 1219 and I owned a 1218 and later a 701 direct Drive. The latter had same problems with shell, automatics, and lift.
I also worked as repair tech. :p The universal head contact shell like Sony/SME with gold contacts is superior.

The earlier TK12 headshells had bent over spring contacts which did become intermittent. Within a couple of years, the headshells converted over to spring loaded pins. My experience (which was pretty extensive as a service technician that worked on many Duals) was that the later headshells were quite reliable. These headshells were backward compatible, so it was a simple matter of replacing the old one. Signal problems with the later Duals was more often due to bad interconnects or defective tonearm wires. The pre-"Q" models used a shielded cable that in some cases would corrode and fail. The later ones used a discrete wire bundle that held up extremely well. BTW, the 701 was a very nice turntable and very competitive with some of the best manual arm/table combos of the day.

I got a 1229 cheap in the late 90s and it worked fine for the few years I used it, but I've always assumed the LF rumble was just the normal rim drive thing, even with the heavy platter. I did clean up the rim inside, idler and motor shaft, but with little or any improvement. Maybe not totally rebuilding it had something to do with it.

I have had a problem with one or two headshells, with them falling apart - there's an extra small piece of plastic that's glued on and holds the wire ends/springs in place that connect to the arm, and that has fallen off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.