MC Cartridge suggestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I've been using the Shure V15VxMR MM cartridge for the past nine months and I'm extremely happy with the performance of the Shure (I have used MM cartridges exclusively for the past 30 yrs). I would like to use/experiment with a MC cartridge in conjunction with the Shure and would appreciate any suggestions from Forum members as to what you would recommend I should use. The Shure was about $800 AUD and I suppose I would be expecting to pay that much and up to say $1500 AUD for the MC cartridge.
My TT is a Rega P25 with RB600 arm.
Thanks in advance to all.

Cheers,

phibes said:
I would like to use/experiment with a MC cartridge in conjunction with the Shure....... Cheers,

I'd just caution that swapping cartridges in the Rega is no trivial
task, especially if the height of the tone arm needs to be adjusted.

Ideally you should approach this by demonstration, but chances
of finding a dealer who will demonstrate different cartridges are slim.

If MC's are better than MM's, there should be some cost point at
which paying more for a MC is not justified, they should compete
on equal terms, I'd suggest this is around 200 to 300 $ (US).

The quality of the MC step up is also an issue to be considered,
you may be better with a high output Moving Coil.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on expensive MC's, IMO the
arm and turntable its attached to are far more important than
the actual cartridge used (if its decent) regarding the end result.

Ortofon's MC cartridges are pretty good IMO.

I use an Ortofon MC15 Super II with a RB250, fine line stylus - but
tracks at 2.2g, on a modded Systemdek turntable, nice / neutral IMO.

:) sreten.

MC Cartridges

Hi,
Thanks for the advice and I'll certainly take it onboard. I am fully aware of the adjustment necessary with the Rega arm as I went through all that when I fitted the Shure. Whatever MC cartridge I end up with, it will be left in the arm for extended periods of time. I don't intend swapping and changing constantly. I would just like to experience a good MC cartridge after all these years using MM cartridges. Perhaps I won't like the experience as much as the Shure!
I feel the ME phono stage will support low output MC cartridges and incidently, I have had the Denon MC cartridges recommended to me by others who always give them a good rap.
Cheers

I'm using an Ortofon MC20 Supreme and have been very happy with it.

a friend has the Denon s1s (above your target price) but the 103 and 301 are well regarded. The only caution I'd give with the denons is that the s1s and 301 have a high compliance and i have seen the s1s bottom out on steep warps that my ortofon tracks without any grief at all. If everything is perfectly flat then it's no hassles, just something to be aware of.

drew

Phibes

Go for an Ortofon!!!

They are very well built, very reliable and once you set one up you don't have to fiddle around to fine-tune it.
They just play music.

Their new Kontrapunkt models are excellent value for money but
if you can afford it go for the Jubilee. And if you cannot afford right now, be patient and save money to get it in a couple of months

Some people say the Jubilee is one of the finest cartridges ever made, others say it's the best Ortofon ever made and others say it's the second best after Ortofon's MC7500.

Here they are:

Attachments

• jub+mc7k5.jpg
    jub+mc7k5.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,055
MC

Hi Guys,

For me the best MC for the $$$$$$ is the Shelter 901.
I had the Van Den Hul MC one Special and the Kontapunkt the blue one. But the best one is and will be (for me) the Shelter 901.

Frank, if you are reading this post can you please tell me what the name is of that beautifull Belgian MC Cartridge? Something like Aerts?

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Audiofanatic

I think it's Alaerts. Jim Alaerts is the man behind them.

Cannot tell about the Shelter, i haven't heard it.

In the 25+ years i have been listening to music i had Suppex, Karma, Koetsu, Dynavector, vdH mc1, mc2, mc1s, Grasshopper 1,2,3, a custom made-low output Grasshopper White Beauty SPX (i still have this one), a Monster SG2000 and the two Ortofons i have been using for the last 3 years.

I fell in love with 2 of them: the Monster and the Ortofon MC7500.

Hisayoshi Nakatsuka (he was making the Monsters) is still making cartridges, the ZYX, but they are not that easy to get and the top of the line R-1000 costs a little less than 7000 Euro.

As for the Ortofon, if we could only persuade Per Windfeld to design a Jubilee with the MC7500 generator, cantilever and stylus.

In the meantime i am dreaming of the ZYX R-1000.

Sleep well,

Nick

Nick

Nickolas K. said:
I think it's Alaerts. Jim Alaerts is the man behind them.

Cannot tell about the Shelter, i haven't heard it.

In the 25+ years i have been listening to music i had Suppex, Karma, Koetsu, Dynavector, vdH mc1, mc2, mc1s, Grasshopper 1,2,3, a custom made-low output Grasshopper White Beauty SPX (i still have this one), a Monster SG2000 and the two Ortofons i have been using for the last 3 years.

I fell in love with 2 of them: the Monster and the Ortofon MC7500.

Hisayoshi Nakatsuka (he was making the Monsters) is still making cartridges, the ZYX, but they are not that easy to get and the top of the line R-1000 costs a little less than 7000 Euro.

As for the Ortofon, if we could only persuade Per Windfeld to design a Jubilee with the MC7500 generator, cantilever and stylus.

In the meantime i am dreaming of the ZYX R-1000.

Sleep well,

Nick

We both have something in common!
You don't know the Shelter 901 and I don't know the MC7500.
I'm sure it's a great cartridge, but the price is realy something!

And Yes! it's the Jim Alaerts, never heard of him until a read a post of our dear forum member Frank.

All the best for the new year.

Audiofanatic ;)

This will be (I think) my last post for this year,
till next year! Best regards :)

Best bargain MC

Ther best bargain MC, and specifically LOW OUTPUT, is the Goldring Eroica LX model. I am using it with a M.C.Cotter Transformer.

Low outpt cartridges work best and work best with transformers. Low output units, becasue the moving mass is lower,and there is less slewing problems under acceleration, unlike high output MC's. all things being equal, a low output MC will outperform a high output version, every time.

Someone gave me the name of the company to buy transformers from, so you don't have to go and hunt down ultra expensive units. 'll go and get the name (place musak here...)OK. I's back. The name is 'Lundahl trasformers'.

Back to the Goldring Erocia LX MC unit. The way to make one sing, is to remove the body cover, which is easily done, and then damp the chassis that remains.

It puts this unit in the $1-1.5k MC territory. Just like that. I do things like buy them used off of ebay, or whatever. They can be had for about $225US or so. But you can't be afraid of making a mess...

So now I have a nuded Erocia! And it rocks! Big time!

I've had a Goldring Eroica LX in a Rega arm and TBH wasn't
too impressed. It was replaced with an Audio Technica AT-F3
which showed it a clean pair of heels. It didn't come close to
The Ortofon MC15 super II that I now have.
Perhaps I had a poor example because it was dissapointing.

Some of the suggestions seem a bit much for a Rega P25.

I'd suggest Phibes tries the classic Denon DL110 cartridge.
If moving coils really are better it should be good enough to
demonstrate the benefits.

I still maintain the following is true :

I'm not going to offer an opinion on expensive MC's, IMO the
arm and turntable its attached to are far more important than
the actual cartridge used (if its decent) regarding the end result.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

The arm, yes, but the TT? And Denons?
Any Ortofon at the same price will blow them away...

Maybe it's down to taste but you really have me puzzled at times...:xeye:

Cheers,;)

From my experience of rebuilding turntables I can confidently
say that modifications to the turntable cause effects that many
would say is the sound of the cartridge or arm, but its not.

I like Ortofons, I have one. It is a long while since I've heard the
DL110, at the time it seemed to be better than the Ortofon MC10
I had at the time. Its the only Denon I rate, having not heard the
others and I wouldn't expect the others to be very suitable.

I also found a review of the Rega P25 saying

The table is finished in Black, and the first cartridge used was Shure V15 series MM. The sound came out with a real nice PRAT, which from other reviews, is what I expected. The sound stage was nice, often very large, but not bloated big. The bass was very extended and tuneful. The Shure is a bit of a dark cartridge to begin with, and the table did not accent this, or make it brighter than what I have heard it do on the Linn. Next I tried the Koetsu Black on it. This cartridge is very nice with the Rega, if you are in the romantic side of the listening chair. Again, nice detail (better than what the Shure could muster up), with good bass extension and airy treble. I should mention that my Black is getting on in years, and it does not do the bias tracks so well on the HiFI News and Record Report test lp. so on to the next cartridge, the Denon DL110.

The Denon DL110 seemed to be a match made in heaven for the Rega. Here the Rega really strutted it's stuff. It could track clean through the 3rd bias track on the HFaRR test lp with no buzzing or tracking problems. This cartridge had sit in my spare bin for way to long, and finnally was broken in and ready to roar. This cartridge showed how dynamic the P25 could be, which on my pop and rock recordings, seemed to jump out. The detail is also very good, with a clean treble.

More on the Dl110, incorrectly listed as a DL140 :

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vinyl&n=186415&review=1

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

From my experience of rebuilding turntables I can confidently say that modifications to the turntable cause effects that many would say is the sound of the cartridge or arm, but its not.

From rebuilding badly designed TTs I may get the wrong conclusions too....

Fact is, I worked with and have designed TTs and tonearms and once you have one part wrong the other is going to be wrong too...

Just my experience,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.