Temporal resolution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't conflate music production/composition/performance with music reproduction. Irrespective of the source, signals in a reproduction chain are simple one-dimensional functions and subject to basic physics, math, and engineering.

If someone prefers a distorted version of that signal, that's not arguable, it's preference. If someone claims that the distorted version is more accurate and the less distorted version is less accurate, and cites all sorts of pataphysics to justify it even in the face of actual data and demonstration, you're dealing with irrationality and that, likewise, is not arguable.

+1 on that & you're right, I am conflating things a bit, but wanted to reinforce that music and mathematics are not so far divorced as some would like to think :D

cheers,

Jacob

This is really a profound concept! :rofl:

Apparently we are getting closer to the dirty truth:

Hifi is not high quality reproduction of sound but best possible quality reproduction of music. The difference is more than that between night and day.

You've created a new definition of fidelity, in denial of basic constructs of exactness and detail.

If someone prefers a distorted version of that signal, that's not arguable, it's preference. If someone claims that the distorted version is more accurate and the less distorted version is less accurate, and cites all sorts of pataphysics to justify it even in the face of actual data and demonstration, you're dealing with irrationality and that, likewise, is not arguable.

I don't think you know physics enough to be able to distinguish who knows and who doesn't know. The proof is the in the fundamental mistakes you make when you would like to prove something! You have clearly shown this in several occasions.:D

Don't conflate music production/composition/performance with music reproduction. Irrespective of the source, signals in a reproduction chain are simple one-dimensional functions and subject to basic physics, math, and engineering.

Isn´t recorded music always distorted to some degree ? If we do not
allow for adjustments done with the intention to recreate the original
as faithfully as possible then even the volume control has to go.

Are we allowed to alter linear distortions but not nonlinear ones ?

Other than that I agree with you of course. (And if I want to "refresh" a recording
on an old cassette tape I cannot find new, I rather use an Aphex aural exciter than
a tube SET.)

Last edited:
Isn´t recorded music always distorted to some degree ?

Of course it is. This is exceedingly unlikely to be improved by adding uncorrelated distortions downstream. :D

I rather use an Aphex aural exciter than
a tube SET

Software solutions can be even better these days. More control and flexible customization of the effects. I've been playing with a system out of Holland that seems to work quite well. More info in an upcoming Linear Audio.

Fidelity means closeness to the original. From that I reckon any intellligent person can work out what high fidelity means. It certainly doesn't mean "What I like".

Unfortunately this website seems to contain both hi-fi enthusiasts and audio enthusiasts. It is unfortunate because the distinction between the two is lost. Hi-fi enthusiasts love music, and want their system to fiddle with it as little as reasonably possible so they can hear the music; the system is merely a necessary artifact. Audio enthusiasts love audio and even sometimes describe themselves as audiophiles; they like listening to their system, so the music is merely a necessary signal source.

Now of course both types may or may not also be electronics enthusiasts but again a distinction is not always drawn. An electronics enthusiast loves electronics so will learn about it to the level of which he is capable, together with the underlying physics and maths. He can make either hi-fi or audio equipment, and recognises the difference. Those who are not electronics enthusiasts have to either buy stuff or simply follow fashion; circuit explanations necessarily go over their head. Some (the wiser ones) recognise this and are perfectly happy to take advice; others seem to regard their own ignorance as somehow superior to the knowledge of others and even regard themselves as at liberty to reject the known results of science.

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread as it (the thread) seems pointless, but now you know why I think it is pointless.

And it's not just Mozart. For example, there is a lot of stuff like that in jazz as well.
It's not about ethereal activity and there is a difference between interpretation and rigorous definition. In fact every a musician plays Mozart or whatever giving his own interpretation. It's like a language not mathematics. At some point it just becomes going round in circles.

Mathematics is a language, it is the language of science.

RedBook CD has plenty of bits for nanosecond resolution
I said that.

And actually, it has enough bits for accuracy well beyond the clock jitter. Which of course, would be useless enough.

It requires sufficient bit depth at the output math section to interpolate the true waveform.

This is the same concept that causes output voltages in excess of the digital full scale value.

And just where is this reconstruction math?
Um, the DAC.
Where is reconstruction math in class D amplifier?
Why would a class D amp need reconstruction math??
At some point it becomes charge, integrate, and smooth.
Which is great for a D amp, but only applies to a DAC which has no interpolation math. A D/A feeding just a S/H with some filter.
And for that simplicity, you pay for it with a loss of temporal information.

On the other hand, if you use a recursive IIR or FIR math package to interpolate, you tradeoff a few milliseconds in program delay to acquire better temporal accuracy.

I've seen no studies which present the tradeoff between output conversion Z number and temporal control, so do not know what Z value is necessary for say, 100 nSec temporal accuracy.

Nor have I seen anything which would indicate the level of preprocessing math necessary to control temporal accuracy at the front end A/D section. I am not confident that Z=0 is sufficient at the front end.

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.