Upgrading Rega P1 to get rid of captive phono leads. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading Rega P1 to get rid of captive phono leads.

Hi folks,

I've got a Rega P1 turntable, which I got as a gift fairly recently, and having a great time digging out vinyl that I haven't had the means to listen to for many moons, as well as enjoying the sound of the deck itself - it's quite impressive for such a bargainous piece of kit.

One thing, however, that struck me about the deck when I got it was the hideous quality of the captive phono leads, which are like the things that you buy for about £1.99 a pair in Maplins. And there's no separate earth.

For anyone who doesn't know the deck (and I presume that this isn't uncommon on other budget priced decks?) - the phono leads go straight into the bottom of the plinth under the tonearm, via a small plastic cylinder that's held in place by a grub screw, and soldered directly onto the wires from the cartridge.

What I'd like to is get rid of the captive leads completely, and replace them with a simple socket, so I can use my own phono lead (which I already have from when I owned a 'decent' deck some years back).

My idea is to simply mount a decent quality 5 pin din socket directly below the tonearm, possibly on a small plate screwed to the plinth, et voila!

Has anyone attempted a mod like this before? I've been searching the net, and can't find anything, which kind of surprised me with so many peoples obsession with cables! Also, can anyone think of any problems that I might encounter in doing this?

Many thanks in advance
Old 1st November 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A couple of years ago I did fit a 5-pin male DIN socket into an RB300 arm, but I currently don't
remember where I bought it. I just still know I fitted a female DIN plug to the corresponding lead
I made at the same time.
However, Rega TTs suffer from different issues than arm cable. For a P1 get a decent cartridge
first, then the glass platter and better subplatter.
Old 1st November 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply Ticktock.

I've been looking at the upgrades you suggested this morning, and found a great source of info here - Enjoy life with LP's and Turntables

Seems like the upgrades you pointed out are a great place to start, and then there's a whole load more, if the inclination takes you...

I also found this - M DIN R (Rega DIN) which is exactly what I need to ditch the captured phono leads on the P1 (fits into the hole where the current cables are held in by the grub screw), and isn't expensive in the least. Hooray!
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nice DIN plug by Cardas - didn't know it.
I remember I had to make my own sleeve to fit the plug into the arm shaft.
I forgot to say I went for an Oelbach female DIN despite it straight and an
angled one is more convenient on/under a Rega.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at doing something like this at some point too (Rega Plana 3 owner here). Have you found a budget friendly female DIN socket? Seems the matching male bit for installation in the tonearm base isn't bad, but all the female bits I can find are terribly pricey. There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm sure...
Old 4th November 2013, 01:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

TAC 5 | Zubehör | Phono | Home Hifi | Oehlbach

Oehlbach TAC 5 Tonarmstecker: Amazon.de: Elektronik
Old 6th November 2013, 08:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Captive external cables are fine it's just that the Rega cables are crap and the grounding arrangement is poor. I've done several Regas fitting good quality external cables together with a seperate ground cable which rectifies the grounding issue, leaving the internal wiring stock. A new brass or aluminium plug is required though to replace the cheap plastic affair. The improvement in sound quality is quite obvious. If I have some time tomorrow I'll post some pics of the last one I did. This is a cheap mod and well worth the effort, a big bang for your buck.
Old 8th November 2013, 05:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwoodspark View Post
Captive external cables are fine it's just that the Rega cables are crap and the grounding arrangement is poor. I've done several Regas fitting good quality external cables together with a seperate ground cable which rectifies the grounding issue, leaving the internal wiring stock. A new brass or aluminium plug is required though to replace the cheap plastic affair. The improvement in sound quality is quite obvious. If I have some time tomorrow I'll post some pics of the last one I did. This is a cheap mod and well worth the effort, a big bang for your buck.
Sounds very promising, thanks for your input.

Excuse what is possibly a silly question, but which component are you referring to by 'the cheap plastic affair'? There's quite a few of them on the deck..!

Warm regards.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok I have some pics here of an RB250 I did recently.

The first pic shows the arm with the original cable removed and the new cable fitted in the new brass insert. There is a separate ground cable as well now. You can see the round glass fibre pcb to which the original cables were terminated. This is reused.
Second pic shows the wires ready to insert through the disc and the next with the disc in place. Each of the existing internal tonearm wires are inserted into the respective holes and soldered. The new ground wire and the existing internal black wire are soldered together but this junction also needs to be grounded at that point. You can either solder direct to the brass insert or fold the new ground wire over so it makes contact.
All done and just needs closing off.
Re the choice if external cable. I used VanDamme Pro Patch which has two cores inside the same single screen and I wire psuedo balanced but by all means use single core screened cable in the normal fashion if you wish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020169.jpg (272.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P1020170.jpg (292.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1020171.jpg (239.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg P1020173.jpg (300.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 15th November 2013, 12:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's fantastic, thank you!

Only query I have is about the earthing - on the P1's RB100 tonearm the pillar is made of plastic, so is there any point in using the metal bung and connecting the earth wire to it, as it won't make electrical contact with any other components?

Warm regards.

Hide this!Advertise here!