rek-o-kut lp743 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

Default rek-o-kut lp743

I picked up a rek-o-kut lp743 on ebay and it arrived yesterday. The guy said that he purchased it straight from a barn and based on the amount of dirt that I found I certainly believe him.

I have so far taken the platter bearing off and am soaking it in a degreasing solution. It seems that the oil that was in there was the original lubricant that came with the table. It was pretty much a solid tar like mass. The ball bearing in the bottom was stuck to it, but after about an hour worth of soaking it came free and I am soaking it on its own.

I used a product called "regrip" on the idler wheels since they were a bit hard. That has softened them up quite a bit. I also roughed up the capstan some with emery cloth. I found it interesting that the capstan was made of a bakelite type of material instead of steel. Are there any aftermarket steel replacement capstans for this model?

At some point this weekend I need to strip the entire thing down and clean all of the parts. They used aluminum parts in some places and that has oxidized over the past 50 or 60 years.

The motor does run very quietly though and when I initially plugged it in, the table turned pretty well and was dead quite. The motor mounts are still pliable with no cracks so thankfully all is good there.

It seems that the motor bearings are sitting on a felt pad. From what I have read the bearing sat on an oil soaked pad, so I will probably need to replace that with a new pad of some sort depending on wear. I would guess that what oil was there would probably take on the same consistency as what was in the platter bearing.

All in all this should be a fun project. I purchased this with the intent of using it with the diy linear tonearm that is also here in this forum. The table seems to be of good quality and build, and I really like idler driven tables since my Dual 1019.
Old 1st November 2013, 02:20 AM   #2
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

I was able to get all of the gunk out of the bearing and now the platter will spin freely for about 2 minutes with a minimal use of force to spin it. The old oil had basically turned into tar.

Hide this!Advertise here!