casette player doesn't play

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a cassette deck* and I have to ask, what are the usual suspects for when I hit the play button, I hear what sounds like the dc motors running, but the gears connected to the tape cassette don't turn?

Also, when I manually try turning the gears, the gears seem to move freely and with no real resistance, are they supposed to be able to moved so freely?

*Sony Duel Tape Deck TC W380 | eBay

Are cassette builts built according to a standard?
AFAIK, no more or no less than turntables.
Any recommendations on where I can buy new belts?
Belts are so... analog.;) It's been awhile since I've purchased any. There is/was a company named PRB (?) that specialized in them. But these days, I'm confident a web search will turn up sellers.
The biggest problem is determining what you need without specs for the old one. If you can't find specs online, you'll need to open up the deck and remove the old one. Then you'll need to measure it for diameter, width, flat or round or square, etc. Then find an equivalent in the catalog.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.