Audio cable for SME 3009 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2013, 07:11 PM   #1
LouisF is offline LouisF  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Audio cable for SME 3009

Does anyone know where I can get an audio cable in good shape for the SME 3009 tonearm?
Old 3rd October 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They show up on eBay from time to time. Another option would be to install an RCA conversion kit. eBay or analogtubeaudio.de
Old 3rd October 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am not sure I follow you; my amp is also "vintage", namely a Marantz 1120, with RCA inputs. The SME is on a Thorens TD125. Speakers, currently in need of new foam surrounds, are AR3a models.
Old 4th October 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

The cable you are looking for can be found on eBay, has the proprietary SME connector on one end, and pair of RCA plugs and ground cable on the other. (May run more than $100)

Many people purchase a kit that allows you to install RCA jacks on the base of the arm. This option allows you to use a conventional RCA to RCA cable.

http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/131-1-...rsion-kit.html

I am not able to post working eBay links here even to currently valid auctions.
Old 4th October 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin, looks really promising. Does not look like brain surgery; could maybe DIY. What do you think?
Old 5th October 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, I think you could diy the RCA conversion in a variety of materials. The key is to make it the same thickness as the original SME connector. (plastic or wood) Don't loose those two long screws!
Old 5th October 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tbh I'd stick with the original plug/socket. If you change to diy RCAs you'll still need a ground wire and you'll devalue the arm too. When I made a new lead for mine I bought a damaged SME cable just for the plug so I didn't have to butcher my original cable. I then made a new cable with this plug and some VanDamme Pro Patch cable and Neutrik plugs. Works well though I can't say it's any better than the original!
Old 5th October 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. My cable's sleeve is damaged at the connector. The wiring is still intact. Maybe I would do better then to fix that. I'll try that as a first option and see how it goes, before converting. I do not know the value of that arm, a 3009 Sii, if I am not mistaken. Bought it on a local (to SA) net selling business and have a suspision I paid way too much. euro385, in 2007. for that arm+Shure V15 on a Thorens TD125 in pretty good shape. The arm's surface has a number of fine speckles that looks a bit like rust, but mechanically it seems OK.

I have never come around to using it, only ran it to see if it worked. It does. I have to test the tracking alignment of the arm before I play my records on it. The hi-fi bug has bitten me again, so now I want to fix the whole rig up again. The Marantz is in to have the phono input fixed, as one of the channels is dead. I considered buying an outboard phono section, but the ones available's speck is rather lower than that of the Marantz.

Last edited by LouisF; 5th October 2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added some info
Old 7th October 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think that the connector fitted to the 3009 is not SME proprietary, it`s a Belling Lee "Unitor" type. These were produced to a Royal Navy specification from the early 1950s or possibly earlier still. In their normal form they had silver plated contacts so tarnishing could be a problem after many years but they were extremly reliable in my experience albeit not normally used for very low signal levels. They were still manufactured at least to the late seventies, probably much later but I can`t find any reference to them currently.
I know this isn`t strictly relevant to the OP but I thought it may be of some interest.
Old 7th October 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
I think that the connector fitted to the 3009 is not SME proprietary, it`s a Belling Lee "Unitor" type. These were produced to a Royal Navy specification from the early 1950s or possibly earlier still. In their normal form they had silver plated contacts so tarnishing could be a problem after many years but they were extremly reliable in my experience albeit not normally used for very low signal levels. They were still manufactured at least to the late seventies, probably much later but I can`t find any reference to them currently.
I know this isn`t strictly relevant to the OP but I thought it may be of some interest.
I didn't know they were made by Belling Lee. I quite like this connector and personally wouldn't substitute it for RCAs but that's just my preference.

Hide this!Advertise here!