Someone has offered me a Sony ST 5130 tuner, should I take it ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2003, 09:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Shoog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Eire
Default Someone has offered me a Sony ST 5130 tuner, should I take it ??

I currently have a Pioneer TX6500 tuner, which I am fairly happy with. We are in a poor signal area but I can get all the main stations i want, in mono at least and in stereo quite a bit of the time. I use a 4 element yargi. The only real compliant I have with it is that the bass is a bit soft. I listed to very distant AM quite a bit of the time, and it does fairly well (I have a loop antenna for this).
Someone has just offered me a Sony ST-5130 for 130. i understand it is quite rare and gets good reviews.

Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to make it worth while going for the upgrade.

Shoog
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 08:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
mrfeedback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Perth, Australia.
Better quality tuners often have higher RF sensitivity, and lower audio distortion.
If you can I would try it first.

Eric.
__________________
I believe not to believe in any fixed belief system.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Zamboanga, City of Flowers, Mindanao
Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default Re: Someone has offered me a Sony ST 5130 tuner, should I take it ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoog
I currently have a Pioneer TX6500 tuner, which I am fairly happy with. We are in a poor signal area but I can get all the main stations i want, in mono at least and in stereo quite a bit of the time. I use a 4 element yargi. The only real compliant I have with it is that the bass is a bit soft. I listed to very distant AM quite a bit of the time, and it does fairly well (I have a loop antenna for this).
Someone has just offered me a Sony ST-5130 for 130. i understand it is quite rare and gets good reviews.

Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to make it worth while going for the upgrade.

Shoog

Ho Shoog,
It is my first tuner! I bought it in 1973. I think is a good one given its age. 130 looks on the steep side for me considering the age...
Later sold it and bought that huge Sansui TU-X1. Sound quality was not too different despite raving brochures....
For tuners I have one mod:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...er&r=&session=
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Shoog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Eire
He has offered to let me do a home trial, so I will give it a go.

Shoog
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 08:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
Default Sony ST-5120, ST-5130 and ST-5140 wanted

I need this model (ST 5130, ST5130) for a friend and additional the "ST-5150" and "ST-5140" (ST5150 and ST5140) for comparable measurements and troubleshooting by service on this models. Perfect function and perfect electronical condition isn't necessary and the main voltage doesn't matter, because matching main transformers are present. Important are knurled solid knobs (fluted, skirted knurled grooved ? - I don't know the exactly term therefore in english). The Japanese smoothly knobs I don't like
Send your offers to follow e-mail address:
kirschner-hifi@web.de
Thank you for your offers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony ST-5130 front.jpg (27.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg sony_st-5140 front.jpg (43.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Sony ST-5150 front.jpg (36.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg st-5130.JPG (36.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg st-5140.JPG (31.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg st-5150.JPG (26.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 30th June 2010 at 08:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 08:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
leadbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
Send your offers to follow e-mail address:
kirschner-hifi@tiefbasswiedergabe.de
Thank you for your offers
You'll regret that; the spambots will find you!
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. Enzo Ferrari
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
I need this model (ST 5130, ST5130) for a friend and additional the "ST-5150" and "ST-5140" (ST5150 and ST5140) for comparable measurements and troubleshooting by service on this models. Perfect function and perfect electronical condition isn't necessary and the main voltage doesn't matter, because matching main transformers are present. Important are knurled solid knobs (fluted, skirted knurled grooved ? - I don't know the exactly term therefore in english). The Japanese smoothly knobs I don't like
Send your offers to follow e-mail address:
kirschner-hifi@web.de
Thank you for your offers

No need for a ST-5150
__________________
Praudio
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony ST 5150 tuner SM Praudio Parts 0 3rd January 2008 04:03 PM
Sony ST-S310 tuner trouble hiwiho Analogue Source 5 5th November 2006 10:49 AM
Bad Tuner on Sony REC-800 snaps98 Car Audio 0 5th October 2005 08:58 PM
Problem with Sony tuner memory Lourens Analogue Source 8 18th July 2005 06:45 PM
Sony ST-J55 Tuner Mods kestrel200 Solid State 9 19th March 2005 02:38 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2