Someone has offered me a Sony ST 5130 tuner, should I take it ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a Pioneer TX6500 tuner, which I am fairly happy with. We are in a poor signal area but I can get all the main stations i want, in mono at least and in stereo quite a bit of the time. I use a 4 element yargi. The only real compliant I have with it is that the bass is a bit soft. I listed to very distant AM quite a bit of the time, and it does fairly well (I have a loop antenna for this).
Someone has just offered me a Sony ST-5130 for €130. i understand it is quite rare and gets good reviews.

Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to make it worth while going for the upgrade.

Shoog

Shoog said:
I currently have a Pioneer TX6500 tuner, which I am fairly happy with. We are in a poor signal area but I can get all the main stations i want, in mono at least and in stereo quite a bit of the time. I use a 4 element yargi. The only real compliant I have with it is that the bass is a bit soft. I listed to very distant AM quite a bit of the time, and it does fairly well (I have a loop antenna for this).
Someone has just offered me a Sony ST-5130 for €130. i understand it is quite rare and gets good reviews.

Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to make it worth while going for the upgrade.

Shoog

Ho Shoog,
It is my first tuner! I bought it in 1973. I think is a good one given its age. €130 looks on the steep side for me considering the age...
Later sold it and bought that huge Sansui TU-X1. Sound quality was not too different despite raving brochures....
For tuners I have one mod:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=40852&highlight=elso+tuner&r=&session=

Sony ST-5120, ST-5130 and ST-5140 wanted

I need this model (ST 5130, ST5130) for a friend and additional the "ST-5150" and "ST-5140" (ST5150 and ST5140) for comparable measurements and troubleshooting by service on this models. Perfect function and perfect electronical condition isn't necessary and the main voltage doesn't matter, because matching main transformers are present. Important are knurled solid knobs (fluted, skirted knurled grooved ? - I don't know the exactly term therefore in english). The Japanese smoothly knobs I don't like
Send your offers to follow e-mail address:
kirschner-hifi@web.de
Thank you for your offers

Attachments

• Sony ST-5130 front.jpg
    Sony ST-5130 front.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 106
  • sony_st-5140 front.jpg
    sony_st-5140 front.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Sony ST-5150 front.jpg
    Sony ST-5150 front.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 106
  • st-5130.JPG
    st-5130.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 96
  • st-5140.JPG
    st-5140.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 93
  • st-5150.JPG
    st-5150.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I need this model (ST 5130, ST5130) for a friend and additional the "ST-5150" and "ST-5140" (ST5150 and ST5140) for comparable measurements and troubleshooting by service on this models. Perfect function and perfect electronical condition isn't necessary and the main voltage doesn't matter, because matching main transformers are present. Important are knurled solid knobs (fluted, skirted knurled grooved ? - I don't know the exactly term therefore in english). The Japanese smoothly knobs I don't like
Send your offers to follow e-mail address:
kirschner-hifi@web.de
Thank you for your offers

No need for a ST-5150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.