Which differences between Mark Levinson's "JC-1" and "JC-1DC"

Both versions are for operating without mains power supply - just two secondary D-cells are in use.
What is the difference ?

BTW - the mains supply version uses the additional term "AC"
The difference is the year of release - the suffix "DC" means a newer series (release 1976) than the older series without that suffix (release already 1974) go to
ハイファイ堂メールマガジン
Who know the difference between the gain stage circuits of this both versions ?

The schematic of the JC-1DC (potted version), which I have create some years ago, you will find here:
Mark Levinson JC-1DC_ckt[1].
Maybe there is also a schematic of the JC-1 anywhere. The last both pictures in post #12 are from a device in not worked condition at left channel - unfortunately also in a potted version. The replace of electrolytic capacitors by new ones don't provide the wanted success.

Last edited:
pictures/images

Attachments

• Mark Levinson JC-1 open-III.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1 open-III.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Mark Levinson JC-1.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,215
  • Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top open.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top open.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top silver-II.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top silver-II.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top-black.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top-black.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top-silver.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1-DC top-silver.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Mark Levinson JC-1-top.jpg
    Mark Levinson JC-1-top.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 722
What's in the module is "secret"
not for me - I had create also from the potted module from "JC-1DC" the schematic and PCB-layout and upload anywhere here on diyaudio.
But this wasn't the question.
Both models JC-1 and JC-1DC uses both potted and not potted modules (i. e. with not accessible parts in one case and accessible parts - as most usual - in the other case).
Thus this can't be the difference.

Last edited:
Why do you ask if you know the answer already?
I don't know the answer.
What is to read in my first post?
Is my english so bad?
I know the module of the JC-1DC, but I don't know the module of the JC1. This means, that I also don't know the difference between both module models.

The JC-1DC module are also in use here:
Mc Kinnie RO III front | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/78843-john-curl-mc-kinnie-phono-pre-preamplifier.html (post #3)
The sizes of this module are bigger than the sizes of the JC1 module (have a look to the first image of my first post).

by this version of the JC-1DC there is no module inside (maybe since series II):
JC-1DC Mark Levinson ¥Þ¡¼¥¯¥ì¥Ó¥ó¥½¥ó ¹â²ÁÇã¼è¡¦ÈÎÇä ¥Ï¥¤¥Õ¥¡¥¤Æ² Ãæ¸Å¥ª¡¼¥Ç¥£¥ª/ Ãæ¸Å¥ì¥³¡¼¥É/Ãæ¸ÅCD/McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase/¿¿¶õ´É¥¢¥ó¥×/¥È¥é¥ó¥¹Â¾¥ª¡¼¥Ç¥£¥ª¤Ê¤ó¤Ç¤âÇ㤤¤Þ¤¹ ²¼¼è¡¦ÄÌÈΡ¦°ÑÂ÷ÈÎÇä¤â¤ä¤ê¤Þ¤¹ 13-74607-88374-0
all components are easily accessible for replace.

some infos in the wrong thread (hard to find without navigation hints/post numbers):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...urls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-1934.html (post #19332 and #19334)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...urls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-4370.html (#43694)

My schematics of JC1-DC are to find on many websites over the world - e. g.
Mark Levinson JC-1DC

BTW - here a rebuild module based of the JC-2
Mark Levinson 1 - cbznob???? - Yahoo!???

Last edited:
For check I have in the moment the JC1 as to see in the first picture (post #1) but with serial number 1188.
I want to replace the electrolytics. 4 pieces are outside. How many electrolytics are inside of the module?
And in which direction is allocated the potted PCB? Is the solder site on top or at bottom?
The schematic of the JC1-DC module, which I have opened at those days, is attached as PDF-file here.
Unfortunately the JC1 module isn't the same.

Thank you for advices.

Attachments

• C ...-A-Mark Levinson JC-1DC-Power Supply.ckt.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 481
  • C_Mark Levinson JC-1DCmod_ckt.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Faulty schematic

For check I have in the moment the JC1 as to see in the first picture (post #1) but with serial number 1188.
I want to replace the electrolytics. 4 pieces are outside. How many electrolytics are inside of the module?
And in which direction is allocated the potted PCB? Is the solder site on top or at bottom?
The schematic of the JC1-DC module, which I have opened at those days, is attached as PDF-file here.
Unfortunately the JC1 module isn't the same.

Thank you for advices.

I dunno who designed the AC adapater schematic but I think it's wrong. You need a center-tapped transformer as the ground is not connected now.
Or alternatively use a virtual ground creator like TLE2426 as Jim Hagerman did here:
http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/piccolo2.pdf

:cool:

Last edited:
Both versions are for operating without mains power supply - just two secondary D-cells are in use.
What is the difference ?

BTW - the mains supply version uses the additional term "AC"

The difference is the year of release - the suffix "DC" means a newer series (release 1976) than the older series without that suffix (release already 1974) go to
ハイファイ堂メールマガジン
Who know the difference between the gain stage circuits of this both versions ?

The schematic of the JC-1DC (potted version), which I have create some years ago, you will find here:
Mark Levinson JC-1DC_ckt[1].
Maybe there is also a schematic of the JC-1 anywhere. The last both pictures are from a device in not worked condition at left channel - unfortunately also in a potted version. The replace of electrolytic capacitors by new ones don't provide the wanted success.

Attachments

• JC-1DC bottom view ser.-No 350.jpg
    JC-1DC bottom view ser.-No 350.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 355
  • JC-1DC PCB solder side ser.-No 350.jpg
    JC-1DC PCB solder side ser.-No 350.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 378
  • JC-1DC top-view ser.-No 350.jpg
    JC-1DC top-view ser.-No 350.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 375
  • JC1-DC top view ser.-No 703.jpg
    JC1-DC top view ser.-No 703.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 116
  • JC-1DC Sticker ser.-No 703.jpg
    JC-1DC Sticker ser.-No 703.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 158
  • JC-1DC PCB solder site ser.-No 703.jpg
    JC-1DC PCB solder site ser.-No 703.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 362
  • JC-1DC PCB component side.jpg
    JC-1DC PCB component side.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 409
  • JC-1 #1764 old caps.jpeg
    JC-1 #1764 old caps.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 348
  • JC-1 #1764 new caps.jpeg
    JC-1 #1764 new caps.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 220
Guys,

As I remember, the DC simply stood for battery power.

Charles
yes, but both versions are battery powered working versions.
The circuit below is also a JC design.
Maybe this was the version used in the JC-1.
This one shows 2 transistors plus two emitter resistors, but to lower the noise, JC used 8 transistors with eight emitter resistors in parallel.
Hans
If you are right, the different between "JC-1" and JC-1DC" is large. The input signal is fed in at the base, like iFi iphono2 - go to
iFi Audio Model "micro iPhono2": Creating Schematic - help needed
and not at the emitter like the JC1-DC (go to the attached image).

Attachments

• ML JC1-DC gain stage.png
    ML JC1-DC gain stage.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
maybe the simplified schematic from the attached patent - which is more easy than those from JC-1DC - is in use in the JC-1 potted MC head amp module.

P.S.: an interesting statement from John Curl in post #19334 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii.146693/page-967
concerning the JC-1 I have found - I read here the follow:

The original JC-1 was actually better, subjectively, than the JC-1AC or JC-1DC which were 'improved' versions of the JC-1.
I did not know what input loading did at the time.
I did an A-B test with a JC-1AC to prove the point, subjectively.
It was unfortunate, and it shows how difficult it is to predict subjective audio quality.

Attachments

• John Curl JC1 simplified schematic US4035737.pdf
    250.5 KB · Views: 58
  • C_Mark Levinson JC-1DCmod_ckt.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
A bit off the record, but starting with the JC-1, I replaced the four 2*4 by two transistors having a much lower noise figure, the ZTX851 and the ZTX951.
But because the collectors are loaded by feedback component #18 in the patent scheme, this has serious impact on the open loop gain, the maximum output and the distortion.
That's why I buffered the collectors with a high speed LT6203 low noise op-amp, not deteriorating the noise at all.
And just because you don't want to have DC current flowing into the Cartridge, I also added a LT1884 Servo that is producing the positive supply.
But the basic idea is still completely there.
Noise contribution is below 0.3nV/rtHz.

1699436627174.jpeg

You can easily increase maximum output voltage and decrease distortion even further by giving U1 a gain of 10.

Hans