rek o kut k33h

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Voltage differences won't alter the rotional speed of a synchronous motor but frequency differences will. If its specified at 60 hz then running it on 50 will see the speed drop proportionally, and vice versa.

Is that what you mean :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The rotational speed depends absolutely on the frequency. Athough it will run on either 50 or 60 hz the speed will be different on each.

Its a turntable from a quick google search. Does it come with "control electronics" that power the motor from a quartz reference and high voltage amplifier ? The pictures I saw have a small box at the side that looks as though it might. That makes it independent of the mains frequency. Or a different sized pulley for 50 or 60 hz use if run of mains directly.

rek.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The speed of that motor is locked to the mains. So if the turntable was designed to run on 60 hz it will not work on 50 hz. It would be slow.

(The motor itself will run on a wide range of frequencies but that is no good to you if the turntable drive system is built specifically for just one set frequency)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Maths isn't my strong point :D

You would need to know the rotational speed of the motor when its running on the frequency the turntable is designed to work on. Then work out how much slower (if going from 60 to 50hz) or faster (50 to 60hz) its going to run. Thats just a percentage ratio. Then you would have to work out the "gear ratio" of the motor pulley to the platter and recalculate a new pulley size.

Or... run the motor from a dedicated electronic quartz locked supply. I don't know if you can get kits for those but it wouldn't surprise me. Worth looking into I would say.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
the sticker on the top says it will run on both 50 60hz ?

On the motor you mean. Well it will run on either. It will run on 40 hz and 70 hz too but all will give an incorrect speed for a turntable apart from the one frequency the motor pulley is designed for.

Its the same sort of motor as in an old clock. If you used it on the wrong frequency it would work but the clock would either gain or lose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.