Revamped Thorens TD 160. What else? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2013, 04:08 AM   #11
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some folks seem to like cork mats, and they are DIY, so...

The TP16 is a nice tonearm, but sometimes the bearings get sloppy and worth adjusting. You could also consider replacing the arm. The wire in the TP16 is also very nice, and shielded, but some folks rewire them. When I installed RCA jacks on my TD-160 I also separated the tonearm ground wire from the RCA cable, and added a ground post.

If you have re-plinthed, damped the motor plate, and damped the sub-chassis, then you have done the big things. There are additional motor tweaks available, for example thrust bearing kits. I have heard of people "tuning" the RC network feeding the motor, and getting reduced noise spectra as a result.

Beautiful job, especially that plinth.
Old 20th September 2013, 04:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Oh, here are a couple of ideas. I removed the speed change mechanism from my Thorens, I seldom play 45's, can always move the belt manually, and it just seemed like a possible source of vibration.

Also, and I'm not sure I recommend this, but it seemed to me that the top trim plate was buzzing on the motor plate. I removed it. It had been glued down, but there were a lot of voids. I cleaned up the old glue, then glued it down again with silicone adhesive spread very evenly. To remove it, the old glue responded well to heat, then I cleaned it up with acetone. I have heard that some TD-160's have the top trim plate anchored with double-sided tape, so YMMV.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Never seen anything but single stage polishing kits around here. You must have a great hardware store in your neighborhood.
My hardware shop is online! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Oh, here are a couple of ideas. I removed the speed change mechanism from my Thorens, I seldom play 45's, can always move the belt manually, and it just seemed like a possible source of vibration.

Also, and I'm not sure I recommend this, but it seemed to me that the top trim plate was buzzing on the motor plate. I removed it. It had been glued down, but there were a lot of voids. I cleaned up the old glue, then glued it down again with silicone adhesive spread very evenly. To remove it, the old glue responded well to heat, then I cleaned it up with acetone. I have heard that some TD-160's have the top trim plate anchored with double-sided tape, so YMMV.
Thanks for the feedback. Just a question, what do you mean by "trim plate" ? The entire top plate ?
Old 20th September 2013, 07:26 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have heard of people "tuning" the RC network feeding the motor, and getting reduced noise spectra as a result.
Like this Dutch company does: Thorens TD160 HAT Motorkit
Old 22nd September 2013, 03:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffivaz View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Just a question, what do you mean by "trim plate" ? The entire top plate ?
No, the top plate consists of the steel plate, and a thin trim part glued to it. It's the nice looking part, as opposed to galvanized steel.
Old 22nd September 2013, 03:48 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatamot View Post
Like this Dutch company does: Thorens TD160 HAT Motorkit
Exactly. Some folks have DIY'ed the same thing.
Old 22nd September 2013, 05:44 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Exactly. Some folks have DIY'ed the same thing.
Do you have a link to this, please?
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

ffivaz I tried your link today, it didn't work for me.
Old 22nd September 2013, 07:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volken View Post
Here you can see a upgraded TD160 against his older model the TD124 on the X-Fi show last weekend
Hanze HiFi no doubt

Hide this!Advertise here!