DIY "Deluxe" Ultrasonic Vinyl cleaner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY "Deluxe" Ultrasonic Vinyl cleaner

Hi folks!
A friend of mine told me the other day to visit this site.
The reason for this, is to show you my latest DIY-creation.
I have been into the DIY-business for a pretty long time, so I have some experience regarding using my head and hands, so to say.
So here is what it looks like.
First, loading the records onto the shaft:
Click the image to open in full size.

Then it's time to place the LP's into the solvent, wich contains pure water, including a dash with alcohol.

When finished, the records are lifted clear of the water, to run dry.

If you want to take a closer look at how this washer was buildt, pleas visit this norwegian site:
Nok et vinylvaskprosjekt!

I recently finished a couple og record players, build from some old Dual 704 / 701 parts.
So if you care for it:
Scrooge's DUAL 704 make-over!

Sorry to say, the sites are all norwegian.
But hopefully, the pictures shows the most of it?
Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stable.JPG (251.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 29th May 2016, 12:34 PM   #2
bondini is offline bondini  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY supercheap ultrasonic LP cleaner

The ultrasonic cleaner unit is an Altronics kit K6021 (here: http://www.altronics.com.au/p/k6021-...c-cleaner-kit/), the AC synchronous motor rotating the LP is a platter motor salvaged from a microwave oven, the rest is PVC sheet and plumbing fittings, glued and sealed with silicone.

I call it Eeyore. It is not as nice as yours ... it works just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eeyore1.jpg (37.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Eeyore2.jpg (43.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Eeyore3.jpg (38.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Eeyore4.jpg (45.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 1st June 2016, 10:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great diy LP cleaner and the price is right. Could you give construction details? I can't see how the ultrasonic unit is connected to he water bath container. More pictures please or a drawing would help. Please any info would be appreciated.
Regards,
David
Old 1st June 2016, 11:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
Hi folks!
A friend of mine told me the other day to visit this site.
You've had an account here since 2013? You might want to check out the other (large) thread on DIY ultrasonic cleaning.
Old 1st June 2016, 01:18 PM   #5
bondini is offline bondini  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Construction details

David,

1. The main bath - the internal measurements are 340mm long, 34mm wide, 150mm deep at the shallow end, and 170mm deep at the end where the vertical 60mm PVC tube accepts the ultrasonic transducer. This gives a depth of 160mm under the spindle that holds the LP. The surface of the cleaning fluid is about 50mm from the top of the bath, just below the LP label - a total of about 1400ml of fluid.

2. The spindle and clamp - I salvaged the AC synchronous platter motor from a microwave oven, including the bushing that slips on to the motor axle and engages the platter. I used Araldite to glue an M5 bolt to the top of the bushing and glued the first plywood disc over the bolt onto the face of the bushing. The LP to be cleaned slips over the bolt to rest with its label on the face of the first disc, to which I glued rubberised cork sheet (used for gaskets). The second plywood disc (also faced with rubberised cork) is fitted with an M5 demon nut so that it screws on to the bolt and clamps the LP to the first disc. After an LP is clamped in place, the M5 bolt protrudes about 8mm from the second disc while, at the other end, the socket of the bush can engage with the spline of the motor axle. The spindle assembly slides into slots cut midway along the top of the tank.

3. The motor - is fitted into a small plastic case, along with a 0.2A fuse on the active wire. I glued PVC electrical conduit to the top of the plastic case, through which I passed the two-core electrical cable that connects the motor to the mains supply - the motor is turned on/off using the mains wall socket switch. I used standard PVC elbows and hinge clamps to build the motor arm. It is free to slide laterally through the clamps to allow the motor axle to be fitted to the spindle assembly.

4. The ultrasonic kit - comes with instructions in the form of the original Silicon Chip article. The kit is straightforward to construct and the instructions pretty good. You need to buy a 12V 2.5A DC power supply to drive it - I used a switch-mode wall wart. The driver circuitry is in the control box, while the transducer is housed in a piece of 50mm PVC pipe that slides down into the 60mm PVC pipe fitted vertically at Eeyore's business end (I added some PVC stops to hold the bottom of the transducer above the base of the 60mm pipe).

5. The cleaning fluid - our tap water is pretty good. The 1400mls in the tank includes 15ml of isopropyl alcohol, 15ml Kodak PhotoFlo and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid.

6. Operation - after filling the tank, fitting an LP to the spindle and fitting the motor to the bushing, I turn on the spindle motor. The LP completes a rotation in about 15 seconds. I turn on the transducer in its 'normal' mode, in which it cycles over a 19kHz to 42kHz range for between 30 seconds and 10 minutes, depending on how I adjust the timer potentiometer. (A more intense transducer cycle is available, centred at 40kHz - I have not used it.) I usually clean an LP for 8 to 10 minutes, after which I remove it, rinse it with tap water and set it to air dry (using a lint-free cloth to spread any water droplets that have beaded on the surface). I have cleaned a VERY dirty LP for 3 x 10 minutes, as residue still collected on the stylus after the first two bursts.

7. Results - very good. Some old and previously unplayable LPs are now able to be enjoyed. Some new LPs sound clearer - others do not. There is no audible (or visible) degradation of the surface of the LPs. While dirt can be removed, scratches cannot - and the issue with some LPs turns out to be a faulty pressing rather than dirt.

I can recommend trying it - Altronics currently have the kit on sale (or did).

Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spindle 1.jpg (22.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Spindle 2.jpg (25.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Spindle 3.jpg (12.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Spindle mount.jpg (34.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Motor mount.jpg (30.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Motor arm.jpg (34.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Transducer mount.jpg (24.7 KB, 24 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!