The high octane phono preamp

Your'e absolutely right, I've only changed what I felt neccessary .
I guess the 2k7 resistor where put in in order to increase the gain. Maybe you could remove it all together. Apart from lowering the gain, the distortion should go down a bit as well. Only issue could be stability.

Hi all,

I have one 'red' board I bought from Hannes some time back (see post in this thread) I have not used for various reasons (had a health issue back when I bought the board and one thing led to another...). I am selling it in the Swap Meet. I hope putting this here is OK mods; I'm only trying to contact the people who'd be most interested and am only selling the board for the original price of AU$18 postage free (equiv. of 11 Euro, but that includes postage anywhere).

Cheers

Stuey

Last edited:
Stuey,

Sorry to hear about the health issues and hope you are doing better now. Sometimes projects get delayed/cancelled... I also have a board and most of the parts, but haven't been able to make progress.

Hope you can sell your PCB quickly and someone else of the DIY community gets the opportunity to build and enjoy this phono preamp. Good luck!

Nevermind, I see everyone else just bypassed.

Finally... sounds good so far but burn in I am sure has a long way to go.

I get a little noise on quiet passages, need to figure that out... no enclosure doesn’t help.

I tired no C9, it needs it. I have R6 bypassed by 22uf lytic (probably under 22uf measured)

KSC transistors, I have BC’s to try later.

Caps are 940C, my fav I think. Lytics Silmic II, also a fav.

I didn’t go for 10uf films, as you can see 1uf already requires a work around.

Voltage is 41~ but stable. My transformer is only 34v... nothing else avaliable that fits my transofrmer board besides a 40v. I omitted the CMC because I have one in the power conditioner. The DCS1 rectifer board has a transformer snubs with a bypass, KG caps.

I loaded it with all but the 25pf cap because my cart says 400pf.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know what's up with the links on those thumbnails...

https://i.ibb.co/ypHVd2K/F961524-F-7-C8-B-40-CC-A73-F-6-CD701-F7-DECC.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zfNHwfH/D1-EFF1-EE-0-C61-4-C70-8317-3-F41250665-AD.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/JRH09QJ/23358-D6-E-0903-4-AE2-9-B1-E-9-F26-C4789-AED.jpg

Sadly I can't listen to it. It sounds amazing but without an enclosure (I guess?) It's a complete an antenna for 60hz and the buzz from the turntable above it. If I turn the TT off (just the platter motor stuff) a hash of buzz goes away but 60hz will not.

Sigh... back to my ghetto POS preamp.

Touching film caps insulation to signal ground cuts noise down really low.

It seems a chassis is required. But I would need a monster chassis to get this obtuse thing in. Anyone interested in a board that can fit all the parts without too much trouble? As in they can lay down? Few resistors properly fit because you have to settle for 1/4w often, since stock on RN’s is a mix between 1/8w and 1/4w.